Wednesday, October 22, 2014
There are good radio shows and many, MANY bad ones. A few weeks ago, I was walking the dog during the Skins/Seahawks Monday Night Football game so I strapped on my headphones to listen to the action. ESPN had a playoff baseball game on and CBS had some weirdo named Farrell spitting out venom. Have you heard this guy? It sounds like he is talking out of a voice box. Who put that guy on the air? Awful bar, TERRIBLE BAHHHHHH! I decided to rank 12 sports radio shows (almost all of them national). We'll actually start with the best and work our way to the god awful audio diarrhea.
1. The Dan Patrick Show - Dan is the best and no one really comes close.
2. Dari and Mel - I LOVE this Saturday morning show. They talk almost nothing but football and the jingle is the greatest. Excellent dog-walking listen. And I will never apologize for being in love with Kiper.
3. The Ian O'Connor Show - Just a no nonsense Sunday morning show out of New York that also is enjoyable while walking the dog. I do a lot of dog walking on weekend mornings.
4. SVP & Rusillo - By the time that the previous show ends, most listeners are ready to throw their radios away but SVP is just a good dude and Rusillo seems equally cool. It takes a lot to make up the damage that their lead-in left but they excel at it.
5. Mike & Mike - Look, this is corny shit but my ears aren't ready for molten hot takes that early in the morning. I need some easy listening on the way to work. This is a very vanilla show but it works. They need to end that relationship with Cris Carter though.
6. The Local Shows - Bishop and Rothman are fine even though I find Beau to be really arrogant a lot of the times for not perceived reason at all. Rothman takes his dogs to the same place as Commenter Daniel I'm told. Which leaves us with Common Man and Company. Why they still use Company even though it is TBone and once a week Krenzel, I do not know. CM & Torg would have been #3 for me if they were still together. Separately, they do not work as well. Together, they talk to the POTUS. I hate TBone. All other shows produced locally can eat hog.
7. The Jim Rome Show - He's been doing the same exact show for over 15 years now. It is the same thing every day. Great interviews with athletes, callers calling each other out for some dumb reason, war, and people getting racked. Rome is an acquired taste. I do not care for the flavor much.
8. Sedano & Stink - At this point, I would like to remind everyone of the short-lived Hill & Stink where Schlereth spent every night trying to perfect his ebonics. It was the best worst thing ever. These guys are serviceable but a guy named Jorge should not go by George. False advertising IMO.
9. The Mike Lupica Show - The radio show is fine because you don't have to look at his stupid midget face. He tends to interview Joe Maddon every week though and I hate Joe Maddon.
10. The Mike Francesca Show - This asshole New Yorker is so boring. It doesn't help that he falls asleep on the air at least once a year.
11. The Herd - How is this not last? Well, for as racist and bad and racist as Colin is, he does give decent gambling advice. I can't stand Colin and he should have been suspended for a wide variety of things many times, but...uh, I actually don't have a compliment prepared for him. FUCK HIM. I DRINK SODA. DEAL WITH IT. KISS MY BUTT, COWTURD!
12. Boomer and Carton - This is simulcast on CBS Sports and is the worst thing ever. Boomer is just a repugnant turd (see: his thoughts on Daniel Murphy's paternity leave) and Craig Carton is a fucking cocksucker. Maybe Ide can back me up on this but these two guys are straight up shitdicks.
Let's open the phone lines today and lay out our thoughts on national and regional sports talk radio. We can even have an Airing of Grievances segment if you are so inclined. Either way, have a take but DO NOT SUCK. I loooooooooooooove ya, commenters!