|Let me hear ya, Hulkamaniacs!|
1. A hitter must keep one foot inside the batter’s box throughout his plate appearance. Exceptions include a foul ball or a foul tip, a pitch forcing the batter out of the batter’s box, a request for time out being granted, a wild pitch or a passed ball and several others.--Take a close look at this. There is no listed punishment for offenders. So they are throwing in a rule with no way to enforce it. This rule has been in place at the high school level for years and it is never utilized except for by asshole umpires (not me for I am a tender umpire). It isn't going to be enforced for millionaires. Some of these fuckers make 25 million per year. They can take as long as they want. SO DUMB.
2. Intentional walks will no longer include the pitcher lobbing four balls outside the strike zone. Instead, the manager will signal to the home-plate umpire and the batter will take first base.--I like this. Sure, every once in a while, some dumbass launches one to the backstop. But it is unnecessary. ELITE.
3. There will be a maximum break of two minutes and five seconds between innings, with hitters required to be in the batter’s box by the one minute and 45 seconds mark. If a hitter doesn’t comply, the umpire will call a strike. If the hitter is ready but the pitcher doesn’t deliver a pitch by two minutes and five seconds, the umpire will call a ball.--WTF? A "shot clock" is never going to work. What if it's mid July in KC and the catcher is the first batter coming up. He's already sweating his ass off and now you want him to rip the gear off and sprint back to the dish otherwise he gets a strike called on him? And what if the inning ends with a pitcher on base? SO DUMB.
4. There will be a maximum of two minutes and 30 seconds allowed for pitching changes, including those that occur during an inning break. The clock starts when the reliever enters the playing field. The penalty will be that the umpire calls a ball.--I hate the asshole relief pitchers who walk from the pen to the mound or jog really slow. Get your fucking ass in there and take your warm-up pitches. I hate the idea of a between innings clock but I don't mind this. Those guys have been throwing for awhile anyway. They shouldn't need ten more pitches on the field, too. ELITE.
5. Each team will be permitted three “timeout” conferences covering any meeting involving pitchers and catchers, managers, coaches and batters. Timeouts during pitching changes and those that result from an injury or other emergency will not be counted toward the limit.--YES! FINALLY! Jorge Posada used to talk to the pitcher at least 40 times per game and it was always the worst. Cut these meaningless conferences down and save some time. The pitcher is a dumb person but he knows that he needs to throw strikes without 3 people coming out to remind him to throw strikes. This is a good call. ELITE.
6. All of the above will be enforced in all AFL games. At Salt River home games only, a modified version of Rule 8:04, which requires a pitch to be thrown within 12 seconds after he receives the ball with the bases empty, will apply.--The Arena Football League? Again with the shot clock. This is fucking dumb. Yeah, some pitchers take forever and I wish that more were like Mark Buehrle but this is not the way to change things.
Want to know some things that I would institute to help improve the pace? Glad you asked!
*I like the automatic intentional walk
*I like setting a certain amount of time for relief pitchers to get into the game
*I love the set amount of conferences on the mound
*Killing Harold Reynolds would be a lovely gesture
*If you want to make a stand with a clock, have someone within MLB chart it and then fine the fuck out of the offenders and even more so for repeat offenders. Don't give balls and strikes because that turns the umpire into an unnecessary villain. Go after their wallets. They'll get the fucking hint.
*There is nothing more annoying than multiple throws over to first base. I'd institute that you get ONE per batter. Use it wisely or DEAL WITH IT. The bunt is stupid and stolen bases are awesome anyway. Scoring is way down these days because the pitching is incredible so get the runners moving more often.
*Bring back the bullpen car to drive relievers to the mound!
*Fire Angel Hernandez (this one is more of a personal preference)
Let me know what you think of MLB's pace solutions and mine. I don't think that pace is THAT big of a problem. Their are bigger issues (PEDs still, lack of TRANSCENDENT superstars, the Detroit Tigers, etc.). How about a little gambling advice to send us into the weekend.
FUCK! I missed last week's Glory Hole by .5 point. Put BG down as a team that you can't trust. How do you give up 500+ yards rushing to Wisconsin one week and then 7 days later you give up 500+ yards passing to UMass??? BGSUcks. We're now 3-2 on the season and now that conference play has begun, we are TRIPLING DOWN AT THE OLD GLORY HOLE.
The MAC Glory Holes of the Week are Toledo -5 @ Western Michigan, Northern Illinois -24.5 vs. Kent State, and UMass +3.5 @ Miami. The Rockets have been double digits better than Row The Boat for over a decade now. Kent State has gotten slaughtered the last two games (Ohio Buckeyes and Virginia) and I can't see them firing up on a long bus trip to DeKalb. I think that the RedHawks can end the 21 game losing streak tomorrow but when you have a chance to get MORE than a FG from a team whose losing streak can get into strip clubs, you would be dumb not to. I GUARANSHEED two winners from this bunch but all three is very likely. RedHawks win 31-30.
A lot of good Big 5 games this weekend as has been discussed so feel free to make some picks there if you want. But what really matters is that Baltimore needs to end the Tigers. See you Monday or, as I like to call it, another day in which the Redskins embarrass themselves on national TV.