Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Open Forum: TV Channels

As I said the other day, I'm on vacation this week.  These were use it or lose it days so I get a week of doing absolutely nothing AKA heaven.  Needless to say, the remote control is getting a workout.  Anyway, it feels like every few months, She$ will yell at me because the cable went up.  Now this is not my fault at all.  Cable companies are assholes.  But I have to hear about it anyway.

At some point in the future, a la carte cable will become a reality.  It makes sense.  Us poor saps get stuck having to pay for a ton of shit that we don't even consider watching.  Some day, we will be able to pay for what we want to watch.  And that is going to serve as the transition for today's TV post...you get 5 channels on G$'s a la carte cable system.  What are you choosing?

A couple of rules:
1. You have to take one (and one only) network channel
2. One of your choices is automatically ESPN.  So you get 4 channels instead of 5.  DEAL WITH IT.
3. You don't get pick to the streaming options.  Fuck off, Ide.
4. You get one "caveat".  I'll explain that when I get there.  So what are my Five Channels...

ESPN - I already told you that.  Even if you hate SportsCenter and all of the nonsense, at least you get PTI and Gameday and Monday Night Football.  That's big.

CBS - This is my network pick.  ABC and NBC were not even considered.  It always came down to CBS vs. Fox.  Both networks have the NFL which is great.  But I chose CBS over Fox because I'll take The Masters and March Madness over the World Series.  I also LOVE CBS's holy trinity reality shows (Survivor, Big Bruh, and Amazing Race).  Brooklyn Nine Nine just couldn't match.  I watch none of CBS's "comedies" and dramas and never will.  Basically, I picked Jim Nantz over Joe Buck.  That was a tough call.

FX/FXX - FX has the best shows and I'm sliding FXX in there as my caveat.  For the purpose of having an ELITE channel, FXX was absorbed by FX.

HBO - It was either this or AMC and it came down to me trusting the people at HBO more.  AMC has been awful recently and not even The Walking Dead can save it.  With HBO, I've still got GoT as well as movies and Louis CK specials.

Fox Sports Ohio - My final pick is an easy choice.  Yes, I'll take the network that gives me every Cavs and CBJ game. 

I think that I could live a comfortable, lazy life with these five channels.  And, one day, it will be a reality that I could have that for $40 a month or whatever.  CARRY THE FLAG!  List yours.

We can also use today as a Fall TV Preview.  I'm not really looking to add anything new to the season pass but that Gotham show looks interesting simply because of Donal Logue.  What doesn't look good is Blackish.  Nice fucking title.  So let's spend today away from sports and on television.  200 channels and nothing but cats indeed.

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

ESPN

CBS -- IF I wasn't able to even watch another network channel, then I'd choose ABC for OSU football...but, since I can go to a bar. I'm choosing CBS for the reasons you listed and I enjoy 60 Minutes.

BTN -- Need it for OSU basketball.

Discovery and National Geographic -- I can always find something to watch on either of these two channels.

I don't know of any new shows that are coming out, but willing to listen to any suggestions you heathens have.

--Drew

Anonymous said...

ESPN
NBC (only because of ND games)
FX
AMC
Comcast Chicago

G$ what are your thoughts on BB this season?

Larry

GMoney said...

Thank you for the question, Larry, and yes my daughter pissed all over me and my short shorts this morning. I then immediately got a raging bloody nose from a violent sneeze that needed tended to before her piss pants which only made her more mad. It has been a wonderful morning.

Anyway, this has not been the most entertaining season of Big BRAH but it could be the best played. I've been in the tank for Derrick since day one and he has not let me down. This has been a dominant showcase. And now that homo boy is gone, it's all over. Victoria's Robin has this shit locked up.

I miss the casual nudity and racism and hook-ups. It's as if people finally figured out that they are constantly on TV. Not cool!

No FSDetroit, Drew? Typical fake fan.

I see that Dylan McDermott has another fucking show coming out. How many chances is this guy going to get?

Goddamn Vikings...let Peterman play!

MUDawgfan said...

ESPN
CBS - Also home to SEC football!
AMC
HBO - Need it for Game of Thrones and True Detective
Travel Channel - for the old Anthony Bourdain re-runs.

Anonymous said...

ESPN
FOX - tough call between this and CBS
PBS - they actually have lots of interesting shows
FX
FOOD NETWORK - love cooking and food related shows

GMoney said...

Yeah, if I chose PBS I would want to be anonymous, too. Enjoy the totebag, queer.

Prime99 said...

Well shit. Flip Fox Sports Ohio for Comcast Sports Chicago and I'll take basically the same channels as G$.

DYK that Derrick may be the first person in the history of BB to not go on the block? Pitching a shutout at the moment.

Travel Channel was tempting as they have some great shows but the other channels mentioned win out. AMC and Comedy Central are also high on my list. Maybe a music channel like AXSTV or Palladia as well.

Anonymous said...

G$....didn't know I could choose FSDET since I can't get it here in Columbus. OBVZ I would pick that if it's allowed in these rules.

--Drew

Nibbles said...

Miss me some NCTV-5 showing replays of 'Cats football and basketball.

T. Iceman said...

This is a tough one, but after careful consideration (5 minutes) my list is:

ESPN
CBS
AMC
Discovery ID
Big 10 Network

It basically came down to I can rent movies and anything else that comes out on HBO/SHOWTIME with relative ease. So I left those off. Even shows like American Pickers and American Restoration have box sets now you can rent. So History Channel sadly didn't make the cut. Even though AMC has been slacking lately, they have a history of slamming it out of the park and I wouldn't want to miss the next great masterpiece like The Walking Dead or Breaking bad. ESPN and CBS for all the reasons G$ stated. I can't get enough of murder shows so I had to throw in Discovery ID. And I can't live without Michigan Football/Basketball so, like Drew, the Big 10 network makes the cut.

Jeff said...

ESPN
FSOhio (CBJ and a little bit of Bron)
NBC (because of Blue Jacket Stanley Cup playoff games OBVZ)
HBO (only if True Detective keeps coming)
NATGEO




Anonymous said...

Lolz channels. Cute.

Ide

GMoney said...

NCTV was a HUGE omission!

LOLZ at people that have to wait until the next day to watch things. Here we go again!!!

T. Iceman said...

You'll never be better than Ide, G$. Or anyone living in New York for that matter. Time to DEAL WITH IT.

Nice to see the Vikings do the right thing only after a massive public revolt.

Grumpy said...

CBS
HBO
Velocity
FX
History

MUfan said...

ESPN
NBC (for the Blacklist and SNL)
FSN-Detroit (Tigers and Wings)
FX/FXX
PBS - I do like shows like Frontline

FX/FXX/AMC/HBO - they're all pretty much a tie.

If I didn't have to take ESPN, I would trade it for HBO or AMC.

Last year I did get rid of cable and just watched over the air broadcasts, Netflix, Hulu+, and iTunes. I bought an Apple TV unit and I really love it. I signed back up for cable this winter for GoT and True Detective. Pretty much everything else you can buy on iTunes.

GMoney said...

Oh Jameis Winston...please never change.

Jeff said...

So how much will Clemson have to be leading by at half? 21? 28?

I'll go with the latter since we seem to forget how to tackle and run an offense in the second half....Unless Deshaun is playing the whole second half. Then I'll take my chances.

Fuck the Noles. Fuck them right in the pussy!!!

T. Iceman said...

Jameis Winston is a walking Greek tragedy. He just can't get out of his own way. And it is all of the LOLZ.

Grumpy doesn't play by the rules. Omitted ESPN on his list.

Jeff said...

To be fair to FSU, Clemson will not start their best QB either.

Prime99 said...

Grumpy making a bold pick with Velocity.

MUfan said...

Crap, I forgot BBC. I would probably take PBS off for BBC.

Anonymous said...

Huh? I dont watch things live? Maybe not sitcoms, but since the advent of dvr, I havent watched a non HBO show live in 10+ years. Grats on watching all those commercials on fx, I guess.

Ide

Grumpy said...

The rules said ESPN was a given, so I didn't see the need to list them.

Velocity is for all the car shows.

GMoney said...

I think that Grump picked his pet velociraptor.

Watching live = watch it 20 minutes after it starts because this is 2014. I don't wait until tomorrow when the internet can ruin everything. I literally pay out the ass just to avoid spoilers and I would every day of the week.

A la carte cable though...now we're talking.

T. Iceman said...

What would you charge per channel per month for a la carte?

Anonymous said...

There are ways around that. My multimedia bill is under $80 with netflix, Roku 3, and internet included. I see everything the night its out (or when I get around to it).

My guess is that cable will be dead in 10 years with all the major companies going straight after internet control. If you look up the net neutrality laws debate, you can see that they are already moving that way.

To put it in lol terms, me and ape are tv hipsters and by the time you mainstreamers catch on to it, it'll be uncool. And likely more expensive. Saving $100 a month on cable and still getting all yhe same stuff is ELITE.

Hows the diaper fund?

Ide

Anonymous said...

A la carte will likely never happen. Lesser channels wouldn't be able to sustain themselves. The Big Ten channel would even go belly up.

Ide

Anonymous said...

Oh, LOLZ Ryen Johanssen.

Ide

GMoney said...

Eh, some turds think that soccer is about to blow up in America, too. Just like nascar and UFC. I'll believe it when I see it.