Thursday, September 04, 2014

Hope You're Ready For an Ace Take

Smiles for everyone
When G$ asked me Tuesday if I was ready to start "working" again today it seemed like perfect timing. Things appeared to be moving in the right direction with my dad, I had a full week of school with my hoodlums under my belt, and I couldn't stand the thought of G$ having to post *gasp* three times this week. Then I get the dreaded text from my mom yesterday at noon, "Can you call me soon?" FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. I know exactly what the fuck that means. Sure enough, my dad is headed back to Cleveland Clinic today. So let me just catch everybody up on what's been going on.

My dad had open heart surgery. Scary shit. He came out of that surgery fucking golden, only to see his health begin to deteriorate significantly over the next week or so. Turns out that the surgery actually was a success, but that the two bypasses clotted up over the next couple days post-op. These things happen. Sometimes your body just reacts in unpredictable ways with these procedures. Except this wasn't unpredictable. My dad has a blood disorder where his platelet counts are 5 times higher than normal and he has been taking multiple medications for this issue for years. Turns out these ass clowns weren't monitoring his platelet counts...which is mind-bogglingly fucking neglectful. So my dad stays in Toledo for 18 days until they realize that they can't help him or aren't willing to do anything else after they fucked this up. During this time my dad is filling with fluid, can't sleep, barely eats, and falling further into heart failure. But they arrange for him to be seen at Cleveland Clinic(CC)...or at least they did a week later after my mom called the surgeon directly three times to get their shit together.

So my dad finally gets an initial appointment setup with Cleveland Clinic. They run a bunch of tests and plan to have another appointment in a couple weeks. Turns out those tests come back looking pretty bad and they call my mom on a Sunday and want him in the next day. I don't go up there right away. I have already burned through a years worth of PTO in July and August, so I wait to get some news from the Dr's. My mom's hysterics, which are totally understandable and warranted, have me up there the next day. It just so happens that right when I walk in the room my dad is just getting back from getting over 5 lbs. of fluid drained from his chest cavity. It's the best he's felt in a month, but it's the first time I've seen him in 5 days and I swear he has lost 15 lbs. since then. Before the original surgery he weighed 182, after the operation and all the fluid came off he weighed 152. He basically lost a lb a day and looked like he had Ebola, and not the white Ebola. But he's feeling good and started eating more than yogurt at the hospital, so we'll take it. They did a chest scan the next day and none of the fluid came back. And the blood tests were showing that his platelet count was way down to only double normal levels; everything was looking good so they sent us home.

The plan was for him to be home for about two months and then go in for another procedure to fix the clotted up bypasses. Well, he was home for about 10 days and the fluid and platelets were back up and the appetite and sleep were back down. So here we are today, heading back to Cleveland Clinic. And because Toledo hasn't done enough to help, they continue to send the wrong test information to Cleveland Clinic. Toledo blames it on Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland Clinic blames it on Toledo, and my dad's primary Dr. back in Napoleon is being kept almost completely in the dark about these issues. It's a real fucking glowing show of professionalism in the healthcare world.

And I'm not saying all this for pity or any other reason than to just echo this sentiment;
"The medical system is so fucking crooked, man. Unfortunately they're necessary and they know it so they dick you around to squeeze the most money they can out of you and your insurance company" -Ice
 YOU ARE JUST A NUMBER. Whether it's a precious newborn baby or a Vietnam vet, you are a consumer in a marketplace and will be treated as such. And it's so fucking sad. Over the last 2 months I bet I have said to my mom, "They're professionals, they know what's best for him", no less than 20 times. And every time I know that it's a lie and I feel the exact same way she does. And it's everywhere. I "know a guy" who used to audit a dialysis center. If a patient would come in with either no insurance or "less desirable coverage" their rates could be tripled. He talked about sitting in on board meetings and listening to these ass holes talk about patients like it was a fucking meat market. Just know that your doctor's and caregiver's always have another motive outside of what's best for you or your loved one's health.

I'm not saying every person who is a nurse or doctor is an evil, money grubbing person. I know that's not the case. But if the people at the very top of an organization have a primary focus on the bottom line and making millions of dollars, it's only natural for that mindset to trickle down to the rest of the organization.

And I don't know what the answer is or if there is an answer. I think there are several other countries who have much better systems in place designed to truly serve their population in need and not profit from them. And this isn't about Obamacare or any party policy, the system has been this way for a long time (although if you can't see the incredible good the ACA has done then please go fuck yourself). I guess just let this be me encouraging you to be a dick, demand excellence of you doctors and nurses, ask for a second or third opinion, ask a million questions until you are totally satisfied with the answers you are getting, and don't be afraid to say NO. You're the one who has to live with these choices.

THURSDAY NIGHT SPECIAL!
How about some gambling to really bring this baby home?
My guy is on Arizona/UTSA OVER 54. I like it. The line is up to 56 right now but I'm still playing it. He went 4-1 last weekend.
For the NFL tonight I am liking the Seahawks to cover 5.5. I think the Packers missing their starting Center is a big deal, especially playing at Seattle on opening night.

Happy Football Thursday! I promise to be all roses and sunshine next week.

48 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ape's obviously pretty crazy, but I have to agree with him here. I got a good taste of a similar situation with my Grandpa this past Winter. My Grandpa was as healthy of a 89 yr old as you could meet...still took college art classes...played tennis 3-4 times a week. Then one day in January he suddenly couldn't walk downstairs from his bedroom in the suburbs of Cleveland. He was in University Hospital in Cleveland for at least a month while he kept deteriorating and they still had no clue what was wrong with him. My girlfriend has a family friend that is a retired top neurologist that lives in Miami...she sent him my Grandpa's records and he suggested a form of blood cancer that is extremely rare...like 1 in a million...this was a few weeks in. My Dad then found a case study of a guy in Calgary that had this same cancer and it sounded exactly like what was going on with my Grandpa. So, he gave the Neurologist suggestion from Miami...and this study...to the neurologist at University Hospital...and he basically just dismissed it because of it's rarity.

Fast forward to March or so and my Grandpa has a lump in his neck, so they think maybe he has thyroid cancer. They do a surgery to take out the lump...by this time my Dad had moved my Grandpa into a facility in the Detroit area so as he was going to die very soon. About a week before he died...the doctor at University Hospital called my Dad and said that he was right about the rare cancer...and they figured it out after taking out the Thyroid (which wasn't cancer) and the tests that happened after.

It probably never would have changed the outcome as it would have been too late, but it would have given a lot of peace of mind if they would have known what my Grandpa was fighting against.

So, while there are wonderful instances of hospitals doing amazing things...it probably is best to be cynical and ask as many questions/demand as good of help as you can get when it's needed.

--Drew

Mr. Ace said...

Welcome to the dark side, Drew.

In fairness Cleveland Clinic has been fantastic. They basically throughout all of my dad's previous diagnoses and built their own case. When they say they are going to do something that means it's happening and everybody is on the same page. I guess that's why they made $900 million last year.

GMoney said...

And here's another less important but possibly more annoying thing about hospitals: Why does EVERYONE (from nurses to doctors to the insurance people) ask the exact same fucking questions? Isn't that what the goddamn chart is for? Don't you talk like AT ALL? She$ has been asked 400 times by 400 people how much the baby eats on an average day.

The Cleveland Clinic is not fantastic. Just ask all of those pro athletes who no longer play because of their love for spreading staph. Tell Big Ace to watch out for that. Unless he is a Schiano Man of course.

GMoney said...

It's a tough balancing act to discuss the problems with the medical system in regards to your father's health while leading off with a BounceBreak GIF. I approve.

Anonymous said...

Obama, amirite?

Ide

GMoney said...

Half Obama/Half George W IMO

Either way, these dadgum presidents are on vacation too much! THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!

Mr. Ace said...

I like to call it sandwiching.
POSITIVE: BOOBS
NEGATIVE: DAD SITUATION
POSITIVE: GAMBLING

G$ I have experienced the same thing. It's infuriating. Even more infuriating when they are asking about medication dosage. As if they are going off what my dad/mom says and not the chart or file which will clearly show that information. Fortunately my mom has become a medical expert in regards to ky dad over the years and remembers all the dosages of his 8 different medications. It still gives me pause that these people have to ask this question, especially when it's the hematologist who is responsible for the blood work.

Nibbles said...

Sorry to hear about Denny. He's a pretty tough sunuvabitch / daduvafag. He'll make it through it.

GMoney said...

Daduvafag...love it!!!

Anonymous said...

Daduvafag. .....LMBO!

--Drew

Cakes said...

Good luck to your dad and your family, Ace. I never like to hear stories about stuff like this. I went through a lot of similar situations before my mom passed away. Hang in there, buddy. Even though there is a TON of money to be made off of situations like this, you hope that the human beings taking care of your family have nothing but the purest intentions.

BIG win by the Indians last night! If they can split the series, the Tribe is still looking pretty good. It's a fucking miracle we are playing meaningful baseball in September with this team. Tito Francona is a miracle worker.

That Seattle line looks pretty good. Might have to put some money down. I just don't see how the Packers win or lose by less than a TD in that environment tonight. Especially with Cory Linsley at C with exactly ZERO reps with Rodgers in the preseason.

T. Iceman said...

You know Ace is back when there's bouncing tits as the opener.

Your dad is the fucking Terminator, man. I hope he kicks the shit out of this thing.

I'm usually not too cynical when it comes to a lot of things but hooooo boy the medical system is crooked as shit. From hospitals all the way down to your optometrist. Just last year when I asked my optometrist about LASIK surgery he said he "never recommends that as an option" because it's not a permanent fix like everyone thinks. So I was like "well how long does the effect last"? He says, "only about 20 years". So I'll be in my 50's when the effects wear off. The age when normal people who never needed glasses have poor vision as well. OH! WELL SHIT!! I didn't know how fucking worthless LASIK was. 20 years of no glasses or contacts?? What a fucking waste of time and money. Sheesh. Thank you, sir, for opening my eyes to the truth and saving me from this monstrous mistake. Nevermind the truth you're conveniently glossing over of you losing a customer for the next 20 years. Dick fuck. Of course you wouldn't recommend a procedure that makes money disappear from your pocket no matter how convenient it may be for the person sitting in front of you. This is why I fucking hate doctors and hospitals. Their one goal is to suck you fucking dry.

On a lighter note. Go follow @gayhooters on twitter. Just tremendous.

GMoney said...

I hope that your optometrist is the dad of one of Walt Behrman's favorite players who also loves to wear assless leather chaps.

It isn't "JR playing basketball naked" but that urban legend (started by Coach Ape's Cousin, I believe) is still one of the best.

Aren't the Tribe still 5 back with 25 left? Bro, it's over.

T. Iceman said...

I ditched Dr. Limpturd after I moved to BG. While in BG, I had been going to Dr. Archer...whose son is a drug addict. That's probably why he has to rip everyone off. To pay for his son's Wes Welker sized amphetamine addiction.

Anonymous said...

Serious question to Tigers fans... Do you want Shitlander in your starting pitching playoff rotation? Dude is not good.

Seal

Grumpy said...

Holy shit, I take a couple days sabbatical and everything goes to Hell. G$ Baby won't eat and Mr. Ace is back in the hospital.

First, stop trying to feed the kid wings and beer. Ace, you need to move your Dad to Canada. Tell them he never misses Hockey Night and he automatically becomes a citizen and qualifies for better, not to mention free, care.

Went through all of this with both of my parents and it's frustrating. You do become somewhat of a medical expert. Take charge, ask questions, get 2nd or 3rd opinions and learn to be an asshole if you must.

I'll be pulling for all concerned.

Prime99 said...

That sucks, Ace. Hoping your dad makes it through ok.

My previous hospital/doctor was much better than my current one. I feel rushed at every appointment and while nothing serious has come up with me, you can tell there is a time consideration that trumps confident diagnosis. Not a good feeling.

Also, that a shitty situation, Drew. Sorry to hear that about your grandpa.

So ready for the season to start! Two teams I hate playing tonight and I have loads of fantasy implications?! ELITE!

Anonymous said...

Bucks vs Notre Dame in '22 and '23! They're also playing Texas those years. Pretty solid right there. I also realized 42 and 43 years old when these games happen. Yikes.

Tribe has that extra win waiting from the suspended game from last weekend. As Tom Berenger/Bear Bryant says "they ain't quittin.'"

Verlander...bad. Can we pull some of Drew's tweets from earlier in the year saying that Verlander would be fine?

Ape, I'm rolling with your Ariz/UTSA over pick. Your advice paid off last week for me going 2-0, although Tulsa had the miracle cover. A win is a win. Hope all is well with the old man.

G$, also hope all is well with the kid. Does this mean you will not be in attendance at the Stube on Saturday to support your Buckeyes? It worked out quite well for you last time (I've never wanted to punch anyone in the face more than you that night) There will be quite the gathering it appears.

-Damman

Anonymous said...

*I'll be 42 and 43 years old when these games happen.

-Damman

GMoney said...

I also went with Ape's advice. DON'T SCREW IT UP.

I know I said that I would see if I can get down there but that could be a tall order now with this week's circumstances. Not ruling it out, but I would say that I am listed as Doubtful.

Cakes said...

Pretty sure the Tribe was more than 5 GB at this point last year. Sure, they had to win the last 10 in a row to make the wild card but I'm not throwing in the towel yet. I'm not worried about winning the division. I just want another shot at that one game playoff. Is that too much to ask?

Glad OSU has added ND. They used to play all the time back in the 90's. There are so many Irish fans around it will make for some good trolling opportunities. Is it still acceptable to troll in your 40's? Guess we'll find out.

Anonymous said...

"I'll be 42 and 43 years old when these games happen."

Nothing will depress me more than that statement today. Nothing.

Ide

Anonymous said...

Slow....it all depends on if Sanchez is healthy for the playoffs.

LOLZ @ "meaningful baseball". Your attendance the other night was 9,990. Indians fans are the WORST....only tools like Cakes and Damman think they are alive for something.

Cakes...OSU and ND played twice in the 90's....hardly "all the time".

--Drew

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I actually remember that the first time they played in the 90s was the first time in over 20 years or some such shit (they had to bill it as something).

Ide

Anonymous said...

Ide...it was the first time in 60 years. We've only played 5 times. ND hasn't beaten OSU in 79 years....suck on that Larry.

--Drew

T. Iceman said...

My married friends in Canada would like to inform Grumpy that health care isn't free there. The public health care system is funded by the government taxing the shit out of the citizens. My friend Mike is an EMT and 40% of his paycheck goes to taxes...much of which gets dumped into the health care system people think is "free". It's true that every citizen gets the exact same type of coverage and care regardless of social status or job...but it often takes months to see a doctor and most of the money comes from citizens on payday. Canada can have its benefits...but it's far from a perfect system. According to my married Canada friends.

Anonymous said...

Hope everything works out for your dad Ace. Never experienced anything like that but I know it can't be easy.

It sucks that the game is 8 years away because I'm so pumped for it. It will be the first time I'm at the Shoe and the trip to south bend will be a great time with how well Ohio fans will travel for that one.

Larry

Prime99 said...

Wait- your Canadian friends are married?

Cakes said...

Maybe they only played a home and home in the 90's but they still played a series against eachother. Whatever, nitpickers. My point was that it's exciting to get them back on the schedule.

Indians are still in it until they are mathematically elminated.

LOL Verlander. Tigers might as well start buring benjamins on the field before each game. Much better use of the money.

Kate Upton was the worst thing to ever happen to him. Well, besides the giant tits and all.

T. Iceman said...

Wait. Are the Tigers not going to make the playoffs? Because it sure sounds like it from Indians fans. Or is that just the sour grapes talking?

Anonymous said...

No excuse on the Indians attendance issues. It's an absolute joke and it's embarassing.

The Tigers are in trouble once JD Martinez gets busted for his rampid steroid use. But yes, they easily could miss the playoffs entirely which would be the LOLZest thing to happen in the history of LOLZ.

Drew the fact checker is the best kind of Drew.

I will never forget bitch slapping Ron Powlus in back to back years and then Brady Quinn and Charlie Weis in that Fiesta Bowl. Beating ND is really fun.

-Damman

GMoney said...

I suppose that two games in a decade is more of a series than whatever you call the Tribe's postseason least year. COUNT IT.

The Tigers are not even close to being a playoff lock at this point, Ice. I don't have the internet in front of me but I know that the Royals still lead the Central and the A's and Mariners may be ahead of them still, too.

The best part about this upcoming Notre Dame/Ohio series is that both head coaches will probably be dead by the time those games are played! YES!

Grumpy said...

Ok, then move to Germany. It is free and no long waits.

I now have a reason to live; ND vs. Ohio. Hopefully, both planes will crash.

Anonymous said...

Anyone want to buy a car from me?

-Josh Gordon

Anonymous said...

Grumpy, it's the same situation as Canada. It may be "free" but you get shit taxed out of you. Cuba also has a great health care system too from what I hear. That's what Sean Penn tells me anyways.

Tribe was 3.5 out of the WC on this date last year. I just checked. They're 4 out right now (plus 3 outs away from the KC win). In other words, they are right where they want to be.

-Damman

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Damman likes my FACT CHECKS. That's a man that appreciates accountability right there.

--Drew

Cakes said...

I only like your FACT CHECKS when they support my arguments, Drew.

Niether the Tribe nor the Tigers are a lock for anything, Ice. Depending on what happens, both could be sitting at home come October.

If the Tribe falls short and there is some sort of a higher power, we need DET to miss out on the playoffs too. It's a small consolation prize but I'd love to watch all of the Tigers "fans" bitch and moan. Probably half of their fanbase would disappear just as fast as they hopped on the bandwagon a few years back. It would be ADORBZ!

GMoney said...

You don't have to all-caps "checks". That is a FACT.

This "back pocket win" only makes the positivity of Windians fans even more sad.

Mr. Ace said...

The great lie in the Canada vs US Healthcare system is that Canada is taxed at a ridiculously higher rate. If you make $125k per year you are federally taxed at 26% in Canada and 28% in the US...or at least those were the rates in 2011. The only reason our system is different is because we allow private insurance companies to rake in ridiculous loot and we spend more tax dollars on ridiculous shit....because Murica.

T. Iceman said...

According to my Canadian friend Mike, he gets taxed 40% with an 80k a year salary. Being an EMT in Canada is a lot more important than being one in America, apparently. That figure is as of June 2014.

We discussed this over dinner with him and his wife. He said that most Americans are misinformed about exactly how the Canadian health system works. He gave me a quick run down of everything and it appears he is correct. A lot of Americans are operating off off myths or just bad information. From what he told me, it sounds like he would welcome a 26% federal tax.

Also, apparently doctors make shit in Canada...compared to the USA...and a lot of them are starting to migrate to America so they can make more money.

Nibbles said...

If you are figuring in the provincial tax (Canada's version of state income tax), then maybe it's 40%.

Ace is correct regarding 26%.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/fq/txrts-eng.html

GMoney said...

Who gives a shit about what his name is? Or that he's married? These are irrelevant pieces of the puzzle that no one has asked to see solved.

Just get back to focusing on your brothers old football team coming down to beat up on your new favorite football team this weekend.

T. Iceman said...

I'm just passing along what a Canadian citizen told me. I don't know why he would lie about how much he gets taxed.

I wanted to give as much information so Drew wouldn't feel the need to fact check me, G$. DEAL WITH IT.

Anonymous said...

Iceman....rest assured....I will never fact check a convo regarding foreign health care policies.

I find it funny/odd that Cakes has some weird theory on fake Tigers fans.

--Drew

GMoney said...

No shit. The Tigers don't even remotely qualify as a bandwagon team. That is reserved for the Lakers and Cowboys and Steelers and pink hat Red Sox fans...not Trash Team USA. If you have no history of winning, then you do not register for bandwagonmanship.

These "people" that you are referencing just came out of the closet as yokels when they pledged allegiance to Landfill.

Mr. Ace said...

Not saying your friend named Mike with a lovely wife and a beautiful ranch style home on 2.3 acres is lying. Just saying the idea that Canadian citizens are paying hand over fist comparatively is totes false.

You should all adopt my level of cynicism towards everything. Makes life much less enjoyable.

Mr. Ace said...

My guy is also on M/ND OVER 54.5. I am not totally sold on it...but will consider it come game time. I am on Michigan +4.5 tho. This is an underdog series.

Cakes said...

All I'm saying is that I know many more Tigers fans currently than I ever have in my life. I know basically the same people that I did ten years ago. MATH.