Friday, August 08, 2014

Fantasy Football Friday: Getting Value

SPOILER ALERT: He lost this challenge but it was a classy loss
Shit!  Did you know that the LFL (nee DFL) drafts one week from tomorrow?  After all of this hoopla surrounding my brand new offspring, I feel like I am playing catch up on my usual ELITE preseason research for the upcoming fantasy football season.  Don't worry, I'm the best so I don't need much time to familiarize myself with this year's talent crop.  Have I ever explained to you why I'm better than you at this?  I probably should.

I have won every fantasy football league that I have participated in.  And I rock four of them.  In FACT, I own four titles in the last three seasons.  It's been a while since I've secured G$FL glory but Ide has devalued that crown so much over the past two seasons that it is worth barely a few pesos these days.  I WIN.  A lot.  And when I do, everyone hates it.  Why?  Because I get it.  It isn't enough to win with class.  Fuck that.  You win big and you let everyone know about it.  THAT is how it is done, folks.  I plan on winning at least one more title in 2014.  You would be foolish to bet against this.  Today, let's introduce some players that I feel are being undervalued/underrated this season.  For the fourth year in a row, I don't care about giving away my secrets.  You won't be able to beat me anyway.

QB - Matt Ryan (ESPN #11 QB). I don't get this.  If you don't get one of the top guys, why would you draft Rusty Dubs or Kaep or whoever over a guy with arguably the best receiving corps in the league...that plays indoors at least 9 times this season...has no running game...and a below average defense thus plenty of shootouts?  The Falcons throw the ball a ton.  You can't tell me that Matty Ice isn't a top ten QB.  This is fantasy football, not the playoffs.  Last year's pick: Cam Newton (HIT!)

RB - Douglas Martin (ESPN #8 RB).  Anyone remember this guy?  He was insane as a rookie and then got beat up early and often last season.  But he is back now and you should be perfectly fine making him your RB1.  Those huge receivers and tight ends that TB has now should open up plenty of space for the running game.  Let's be honest, Lovie Smith is a classy pussy.  They are going to run the ball.  This isn't some sort of garbage Mike Martz offense.  The Hamster should put up a monster this season.  Last year's pick: Alfred Morris (HIT!  At least compared to the rest of his teammates!)

WR - Julian Edelman (ESPN #24 WR).  What the fuck?  24?  Edelman's a top 10-12 fantasy receiver EASILY.  I would have no problem with him being my #1 WR.  He catches everything, is white so you know that Brady loves him, has virtually no other competition for targets (LOL Brandon LaFell!), and is from the MAC.  There aren't 23 better receivers in the NFL than this little Jewish guy. Last year's pick: Torrey Smith (MISS...I blame Flacco)

TE - Greg Olsen (ESPN #7 TE).  He might be the most underrated player in the league.  I "settled" on Olsen last year on my 14-1 championship MSFL team and I could not have been more pleased with the results.  Other TEs are flashier but Olsen consistently puts up solid numbers every single week.  I would much rather have Olsen in the 8th round than Gronk in the 4th or Witten in the 6th.  MUCH RATHER.  Just a reminder, the aforementioned Martz couldn't figure out how to use Olsen in Chicago so they dumped him for nothing.  BEAR DOWN!  Last year's pick: Brandon Myers (YUCK)

K - Mike Nugent.  I say this every year and it always remains the same: a good kicker is very important to fantasy success but steer clear of the guys who kick for awesome offenses.  Great QBs get into the end zone.  Mediocre QBs like Catler and Andy Dalton and often times Flacco settle for three.  Last year's pick: Phil Dawson (HIT...I don't fucking know so I'll give myself the credit)

DEF - St. Louis.  ESPECIALLY if your league gives points for sacks.  This is the best front four in the league and no one else comes close.  They are going to look a lot like those Giants Super Bowl teams (only on defense OBVZ).  Being able to get to the QB constantly while dropping seven will lead to a TON of turnovers.  I'm not sold on the Rams at all but that is entirely due to Navajo Joe under center.  The defense is legit.  Last year's pick: Jets (HIT because Rex Ryan said so)

How great is it to talk about fantasy football again?  This is the turning point on the blogging calendar.  Once FFF starts up, you know that blogging season is back.  Agree or disagree with my picks today as much as you want but understand that until you win a Fleshlight Trophy, you are a nobody.

33 comments:

Daniel said...

Bills D-Line > St. Louis D-Line

G$ - how is the dog taking to the transition of being an older brother (or sister)?

GMoney said...

Dog is still with my parents but he comes back tomorrow. It should be fun.

Did anyone else watch the Skins obliterate Bill Belichick last night*? How much do you think we win the Super Bowl by this year? Long live Jay Gruden!



*I did not watch one play or see any highlight

Mr. Ace said...

I know nothing about fantasy football right now, other than you want all the Eagles.

GMoney said...

No need for the extra words there. "I know nothing about fantasy football" would have been sufficient and history would have more than backed that up.

"I know nothing about football" would have also worked extremely well.

Yankees > Tigers

Anonymous said...

Reds > Indians

QB is has a lot of depth this year that drafts will be interesting. Matt Ryan is defiantly undervalued and I like that choice.

I'm having the toughest decision of how to go about drafting RBs this year.... Too many committees.

TE you need to go elite or go home.

When it comes to your dog and kid, your dog will take a back seat. There is no way around it and because you are more tired than usual, everything they do will begin to annoy you more.

I cannot wait for golf/draft day!

----Lange

Prime99 said...

My draft in Reno is TOMORROW. Way too early, but it was that or cancel the league so it's happening. I've read some decent articles and done two mock drafts. Should be interesting.

Matt Ryan should be better than last year, but he killed one of my last year. It may be hard to forgive. One thing is that there is a ton of depth at QB, so it's easy to wait and get say, Tony Romo for 2 fucking dollars.

One last thing. My league tomorrow decided to axe the kicker for an extra RB/WR. Anyone else tried this before?

GMoney said...

That's still two dollars too many for Romo. ESPN has Ryan and Brady as 11 and 12. Holy shit. In a 12 team league, they think that if you wait to be the last team to pick one, you can get either of those guys. That is bananas and completely bonkers. No way. I would kill myself if I ever thought that Nick Foles was a better leader of my fantasy squadron than almost anyone else because Nick Foles is terrible.

Everyone is trying to devalue the kicker. I don't like it. Bunch of racists IMO.

Anonymous said...

I'll do my usual couple days before the draft skim of the ESPN top 200 and wing it from there.

Have the groups and tee times been announced for the Minerva/LFL Open? I look forward to -Rex blowing another two footer (or was that Grogan?) on the signature 18th hole at Minerva to lose the skins game.

-Damman

Anonymous said...

Groups and tee times will be announced mid week next week. Ace and grogsta are still questionable. Also Drew T dropped out and Nate B is questionable..... May be a 4 some and two 3 somes. Do we want to do team scramble?

----Lange

GMoney said...

Li'l Poopson is less reliable than Dut.

Good to see that Grogsta is getting Incognito'd by his spawn already.

Anonymous said...

I will add nothing other than to say I am the two year running champion of G$FL.

Bluntly, Baby $ is basically my granddaughter. DEAL WITH IT.

Ide

GMoney said...

I never ask you assholes for fantasy advice of my own but I am in a connundrum in my OTHER LEAGUE. I have to turn in my keepers next weekend. I'm keeping TY Hilton for $14 because he's on a great offense with a terrible running game.

My other options are Le'Veon Bell for $8 or Gio Bernard for $13. The price isn't a big deal at all. I am just crowd-sourcing some opinions on who will be better/score more.

Who would you keep?

Nibbles said...

I am in for FROLF

But, I am terrible and probably not worth being supplied with a club.

Is drinking permitted? I may just loiter.

T. Iceman said...

I would be opposed to taking out the kicker. Even though I never draft one until the last 2 rounds so it's kinda hypocritical of me to say.

I don't see any real issues with this post. The only thing that worries me is every last report saying the Bucs are going to use a committee approach to keep Martin fresh.

GMoney said...

If you are concerned about Bobby Rainey and Chaz Sims then please remember who those guys are and remind yourself that those guys are dickbutts.

I don't understand the "last two rounds" thing. I'm not saying that you should go HAM on Gostkowski in round 10 or something but most leagues penalize for missed kicks so why not sacrifice a little depth for the best and most accurate leg in the league who won't be costing you many points each week? "Fuck kickers" is such a stupid, neanderthal way to approach fantasy. They matter.

T. Iceman said...

I think Hilton is a great keeper at $14 depending on what the draft cap is. It sounds like he's Luck's favorite WR at this point.

I would probably keep Le'Veon Bell for $8. There's almost no competition in Shitsburgh and I've read reports out of Cincy that the team wants to keep Bernard around 300 TOTAL touches. Bell will probably see that in rushing attempts alone.

T. Iceman said...

"If you are concerned about Bobby Rainey and Chaz Sims then please remember who those guys are and remind yourself that those guys are dickbutts"

My bigger concern is Jeff Tedford stating his preference to use a committee. Another concern is we also know that Lovie SMIFF loves using a goalline back to vulture TDs.

I also think Martin will bounce back but not in the big way you think he will. I think 1,100 yards and 6TDs is realistic.

T. Iceman said...

Here's my question: Do I keep Arian Foster? As of right now I'm leaning more yes than no. Obviously the issue is injury risk as that faggot is ALREADY battling hamstring issues.

But on the other hand, he doesn't have the wear on his body that other 28 year old backs do and he will for sure be drafted in the first 2 rounds. There is also zero RBs on the depth chart that threaten his work load.

GMoney said...

Jeff Tedford? Jesus! I didn't know that. He sucks.

I want nothing to do with Arian Foster. There isn't even a "maybe at the right price" thing for me with him. He's dead to me.

Bell has LeGarrette Blount as a potential vulture and who knows what they will do with Dri Archer. Bernard only has Jeremy Hill and he has probably raped at least 40 Cincinnatians since camp opened. Vultures are a terrifying creature.

Prime99 said...

Keep Gio, IMO.

Lovie does seem to keep his star RB out of the end zone, but Martin should be good this year.

Kickers don't matter if there is no spot to put them at, but I appreciate the feedback in this matter. Will be an interesting experiment.

Ice, I would keep Arian but I'm unsure what your other options are.

Anonymous said...

A good rule of thumb is to do the opposite if whatever Iceman says.

Ide

T. Iceman said...

Jeremy Hill is going to be the same goal line vulture in cincy. Both Bernard and Bell are considered low end RB1s. Personally I would go with the cheaper guy who has the potential to get more touches. In the end it comes down to who is a bigger threat on the guy you're keeping? A rookie who has looked great so far or an NFL journeyman who's been on 3 teams in 5 seasons?

Mr. Ace said...

Gio.

GMoney said...

I need Grump to weigh in on Bell and Tonya's slutty ass to drop a Bernard take or two.

It's a tough call and they will probably be about the same player anyway. Gio is way more fun to watch and keeping him would ensure that I would never catch myself rooting for the Steelers to score. That could be huge.

T. Iceman said...

Honestly at the price you can keep each player I really don't think you can go wrong keeping either.

GMoney said...

One thing is certain: I will not be building my roster around T-Bone Romo, Chris Johnson, and Stevan Ridley again this year. I also had AJ Green and B-Marshall (who I fire-saled for Bernard and Hilton at our deadline) but that was a lovely 2-12 team I put together. Never Again. Bust Heads. Seek And Destroy. Bush CD.

Anonymous said...

Romo is a Damman guy.

Ide

T. Iceman said...

Stevan Ridley can get fucked straight to hell.

Anonymous said...

When did Tonya's ass become slutty?

--Drew

GMoney said...

When wasn't it?

No Seal today...is he at the hospital???

T. Iceman said...

He's most likely planning a C-section per advice from Drew.

Anonymous said...

Michael Sam is a Dut guy

GMoney said...

Oh yeah...definitely. You see his boyfriend/fuck doll? He looks like a Dut Guy, too.