Friday, August 16, 2013

FFF: The OVERRATEDS!

You guys talking about OVERRATED players?  HELLO!
Now that we are done talking about that one guy’s wedding (totally a diva, bros), it’s time that we got back to spending our August Fridays the right way: with fantasy football talk. I have my first draft of the year on Sunday (year 11 of the G$FL). We’ve heard enough already about how Ide is the defending champion. With the crown comes the obligation to do the draft position lottery drawing for the next year. We did this on Saturday. Ide drew himself out of the bag first and he thought that that meant he was on the clock at #1. He was heartbroken. Once I gave him the “good” news that it actually meant he was picking TWELF, he was pumped. I have never met a single person who would rather pick last than first. He must really hate that BUM, Adrian Peterson. Granted, he won the league picking in the 12 hole, but still it seemed like a dumb reaction to me. Anyway, let’s get into the OVERRATED players of 2013:

QB – Tom Brady. I have had this guy slotted here for the last month so his potential knee injury had nothing to do with this (although it sounds like he’s fine and was just being a bitch on Wednesday). I don’t want anything at all to do with the Patriots this year. Brady is OBVZ a great QB but you sort of need competent pass catchers to be valuable, don’t you? His #1 receiver is MICHAEL JENKINS (or not since he just got cut...way to go from #1 to unemployed, you piece of shit). That guy is so bad that he was once Craig Krenzel’s #1 receiver. Spare me the “Amendola is the #1” horseshit. He’s a slot receiver that is always hurt. Who the fuck knows if Gronk is going to play due to his back and arm hepatitis A-Z. New England is going to have to run the ball a lot this year because there is no other option. I’m not saying that you should avoid Brady like soy tacos, but I am saying that he will not be on any of my teams this year. QB is deep this year. I don’t need a guy with a shaky knee and no receivers. You can have him. Last year’s pick: Cam Newton (nailed it…by the time he started playing, his owners were already 0-8).

RB – CJ Spiller. I know for a FACT that Iceman loves this guy (would consider picking him at #2!!!) and I’m sure that Jeff does as well. New Bills coach (who was TOTES qualified for this job) Doug Marrone says that they are going to run Spiller until he pukes/gets hurt/dies. That is a nice thing to hear and all but Spiller gets hurt all the fucking time. Wouldn’t giving him more carries just mean that he goes on IR earlier? Think of it another way: exactly what is preventing opposing defenses from stuffing 11 guys in the box? It ain’t the arm of EJ Horrible Draft Pick or Kevin Kolb’s limp noodle. Spiller is probably going to go in the mid to late first round in most leagues and I just can’t fathom myself drafting a Bill with my first pick. I like Spiller’s talent but BUYER BEWARE. FYI, he’s also not going to get a ton of goal line carries because that’s not who he is and the Bills aren’t going to score much. Last year’s pick: DeMarco Murray (nailed it again).

WR – The Broncos Big Three. Now, this section is different than the above two because I would never tell you not to draft Thomas, Welker, or Decker. What makes these three guys collectively OVERRATED is that you are going to have to reach (or overpay big time) to get any of them. Thomas and Decker each had nice seasons last year but the addition of Welker is going to cost both of them at least 15-20 catches. That’s a fucking lot of missed fantasy production. It basically is simple supply and demand here. The demand for balls is far greater than the availability of them. Last year’s pick: Andre Johnson (another win for me!!!)

TE – Tony Gonzalez. Last year, all the talking heads were in awe of the great TE DEPF and less than a year later, we’re down to 1 ELITE TE (Graham). That was quick. Just scanning through the rankings, I couldn’t really find one that is ranked too high outside of this old dude. SI has him as the #4 TE and he is clearly only around this year to piggyback a Super Bowl run. If he wants a ring that bad, he probably should have chosen another QB to latch on to. Tony G is old and hasn’t even reported to camp yet because he “made a commitment to his son” whatever the fuck that means. I’d stay away if I were you. Same thing with last year’s OVERRATED pick, Antonio Gates (4 for 4!!!).

K – Mason Crosby. Dude is going to get cut very soon because he is terrible. I wonder if Ted Thompson has my number. I thought that the best line from Deadspin's This Team Sucks on the Packers was "I trust Ray Finkle more than Mason Crosby." That's gold. It's a damn shame that old Butters Kaeding picked up his tee and went home forever. He might have been the most OVERRATED footman in the history of football. OH HAMBURGERS!

DEF – Chicago. Remember how they scored like 25 touchdowns last year? There is no way in Hell that that happens again. They will be back to mediocre again. Fuck off, Prime.

I have the FIF pick on Sunday which is right where I don’t want to be. I hate the middle picks. The way that I have it figured out, the first four picks will be some sort of AP, Foster, Rodgers, and Brees combo. At least it should be in a 6 point passing TD league (the way fantasy football is supposed to be played). And that leaves me in a weird spot. I’m not taking Doug Martin. I would say that right now, my options are Ray Rice, Skittles Lynch, or Peyton. I am leaning heavily toward Lynch. Thoughts on that? Frankly, I love him. He runs over defenders like he did drunk broads in Buffalo. Gentlemen, Draft Day is upon us. FUCK YEAH!

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will finish ahead of G$ in the league this year. Mark that shit down.

--Drew

Grumpy said...

Krenzel is signing autographs Sunday at a Menard's grand opening; first two are free.

GMoney said...

Drew, you hold yo butt. You always suck in my league. After last night, you will probably take Jordan Cameron with your first pick.

Circle K is a man of the people. And he likes to save big money at Menard's, too.

Jeff said...

I'm with you on Spiller. Over usage will not get through the season. Sure 400 touches would be nice, but that also means 400 hits, and can you really trust:

1) The Bills
2) EJ Manuel
3) Doug Marrone

I will not be picking Spiller at #2.

MuDawgfan said...

I have the fifth pick too.
Probably going to take Lynch but I might also consider Jamal Charles.

Thing that would scare me about Charles is the fact that Andy Reid throws the god damn ball 45 times a game, not sure he'll get his touches this year.

My keeper is Rusty Wilson. Our league allows one keeper, but you lose a draft pick two rounds earlier than when the individual was drafted last year.
Wilson was a waiver wire grab last year so I would drop a 10th round pick. VALUE MOTHERFUCKERS.

GMoney said...

That is good value, motherfuckers. I prefer guys who WILL get ALL goalline touches over guys who catch a few more passes. Plus, Skittles are delicious. GO BEEF MOE!

Andy Reid is a real asshole with his running backs. History is evidence of that.

Funny story about keepers: in my OTHER LEAGUE, we can keep two guys at the same price as the year before (can only keep one year) and you can't keep two guys at the same position. Last year, I went for broke and sold off all of my assets for a run at a title. I dumped Luck for Shady McCoy who promptly got concussed to Hell two weeks later. I flipped Spiller at $4 and Garcon at $6 (would have kept both) for Lynch. Basically, I traded all of my solid keeper options and it failed (finished third because the guy who had Peyton and Peterson was a real sonofabitch). So I turned in this year's keepers yesterday.

AJ Green for 34 isn't great value but he's the second best receiver in the game and I like him. And then there is ALEX SMITH for $3! It was either him at 3 or Catler for 11. I kept old Baby Hands!

That draft is next Saturday and boy do I have work to do.

Anonymous said...

I love the 12th pick as all of my 3 championships have came from being last. It's not the sexiest spot, but I have had success with it, so fuck it, hashtagALLIN.

That said, last year my first 4 picks were Fitzy, Skittles, Pey Pey, and Dez. No fucking way in hell will I be able to pull that off again. I like injured Peyton, he is ELITE at being UNDERRATED.

Would you pick Brady of Peyton, right now, G$?

GMoney said...

Peyton BY FAR. I am considering Peyton at #5 overall. I wouldn't take Brady at #19 coming back and maybe not even at #29. I can't say this enough. I want NOTHING to do with the Patriot Way this year (because it usually ends up with a bullet to your head or Billy B fucking your wife).

I will finish ahead of G$ in the league this year. Mark that shit down.

#PredictionsDrewMade

Anonymous said...

I like your blog and loved it on blogionaire.com

GMoney said...

THANKS!!! And remember, yes, you do need to wear underwear for your protection!

Prime99 said...

For someone without a Twitter, you just crushed that hash tag.

I have my live draft in Reno tomorrow. Do you have mock rankings for a 10 team first round?

GMoney said...

What are the scoring settings and I can work something up for you.

Anonymous said...

It should be noted that G$ knows shit about snake drafts. He surprisingly only succeeds in auction formats.

Ide

Grumpy said...

Nobody wonders who would want a 3rd Krenzel autograph?

Prime99 said...

Very similar to MSFL. .5 PPR is the only DIFF from regular leagues. 6 points per passing TD because 4 points is dumb as fuck.

GMoney said...

That's a fair point. I'm average at best at snake charming but put me in a slave auction and I'm ELITE!

Prime, then the first ten picks should be in some order:

QB - Rodgers, Brees, Peyton
RB - AP, Foster, Lynch, Rice, Charles, McCoy, and Spiller

Charles, McCoy, and Spiller get bumps for the PPR.

Does anyone understand what Grump is trying to say? He must be high on Ben Gay.

Anonymous said...

Overrated....
People who fall in love with preseason studs..... Be smart
Also browns fans, weeden ain't that good

----Lange

Prime99 said...

PeyPey seems like his arm or head might fall off. Are you sure about him as a number 1? RGKNEE at round 4 or 5 even seems like a way better option.

Otherwise, your rankings are appreciated!

GMoney said...

Decapitation is always a concern with Fivehead but he is easily the #3 fantasy QB this year. How could he not be? He plays in a terrible division in a weak conference and has really good players around him.

What preseason studs are you talking about that are jumping up everyone's big boards?

Also Lions fans, the Lions are going to be fucking abysmal this year.

The Iceman said...

People seem to always forget Brady puts up stats no matter who the WRs are. Remember when Deion Branch was the number one and David Patton/Givens was the number two? Didn't stop Brady from being a top 5 fantasy QB. Go ahead and avoid a top 5 QB, G$. Dumb.

Spiller has missed 2 games in 3 seasons. Explain to me how he's injury prone. Remember how spiller had a monster year last year with Fitzpatrick stinking it up? I can't imagine defenses feared Ryan fucking Fitzpatrick last year to the point where they weren't stacking 9 in the box and making Harvard beat them. Spiller still killed it despite that. How will this year be any different. Unless you really think Fitz > Kolb/Manuel. And if you do God help you.

GMoney said...

Brady wasn't an ELITE fantasy QB until Moss and Welker got there. He was more of a fantasy football game manager in those Patten/Givens days. He was not a top 5 fantasy QB in those years. Go ahead and look it up.

No problem, I will. In the 6 years before Moss and Welker arrives, he averaged 24.5 touchdowns per season. YOU LOSE.

For a guy who "likes" "dominating fantasy football" according to your wedding programs, you sure are not good at it.

Yes, Fitzpatrick is way better than what they have now. That is how little I think of what they have now. Maybe he hasn't been hurt all that much to miss games (it seems like he has left a lot of them early), but he went to Clemson so you know he's a pussy just waiting to bleed. Go ahead and draft a Buffalo Bill in the first round/pay $60 for him and enjoy not making the playoffs again.

Anonymous said...

Don't refute him, let him overpay for Spiller. Hell, I was going to price push him anyways.

Ide

GMoney said...

Tell you what, can we agree to let him have Brady and Spiller for a combined $100-110 on MSFL Draft Night and then watch him finish in the bottom 3 or 4 again???

Grumpy said...

What's so hard to understand?

Krenzel signing autographs is just plain funny. The fact that the first two are free obviously begs the question who would get a 3rd autograph from him and pay for it?

GMoney said...

Well you completely underestimate the stupidity of Ohio fans. Many of these morons would want him to autograph everything that they own. Like Drewser for example.

The Iceman said...

I did look it up. thanks for the advice. Tom Brady has been top 6 in Td passes every single season since 2004 and has finished in the top 10 in yards all of those years...including #1 in 2005. A year he didn't have moss OR Welker. I most certainly do not lose. I'm right...you're wrong.

Fitz is WAY better? The hell you say. When you're talking lower tier QBs in the bottom 3rd of the league, which Fitzpatrick clearly is, he's the same as a career backup like Kolb or a incapable rookie like Manuel. What's the difference between the 25th best QB compared to the 28th best QB when you're talking how defenses gameplan? There is no difference is the correct answer. Spiller will put up stats no matter which shitty QB takes snaps to hand it off. He's proven he can produce with trash under center.

GMoney said...

You probably don't understand this since you aren't competent at fantasy football, but leading the league in yardage means nothing. If I'm drafting you in the first two or three rounds, you better fucking give me 30 touchdowns. If not, I'll wait. His first six years as a starter (which included three Super Bowl wins), he averaged less than 25 per season. NOT ELITE in those years as a fantasy QB.

It's sort of interesting that the more dominant he has become as a stat monger, the less success he's had in January.

I still stand by my opinion that I'd rather draft someone who didn't throw the ball to Aaron Dobson and Jake Ballard on purpose.

The Iceman said...

And you probably don't understand this because you're dumb. But back in 2005 there was only 1 QB who eclipsed 30 Tds. Brady was 3rd in Tds and 1st in passing yards in 2005...again, a year he had complete shit at wrs. So since this whole stats thing is too hard for me to handle, do me a favor and calculate for me where Brady would have finished in fantasy QB stats In 2005. A year without moss and welker.

It's okay to be wrong.

Grumpy said...

I don't know which of you is right or wrong, but seriously Iceman, don't you have better things to do on your honeymoon?

The Iceman said...

Never question my dedication to this site.

GMoney said...

We can argue until we're blue in the balls about the merits of 2005 Tom Brady but 2013 Tom Brady is in his late 30's and is throwing to guys worse than David Givens. I don't want any part of that...which was my point from the beginning. That's a run-first team now.

My massive trophy case filled with fleshies proves that I am an expert. FACT!

The Iceman said...

Brady will finish top 5 in QB fantasy points. Mark it.