We’ve been pretty heavy on lists here recently so I see no reason for that to change now. We have also been witness to many awesome games over the past 12 months. Most sites would probably do a list like this at the end of the year but not me. Much like some shitty carpet store in your city, it’s Christmas in July here! The theme for today that will carry us through Big Strut’s Toledo wedding this weekend is The Ten Best Games Of The Last Year. FYI, we didn't really even look at regular season games because those obviously don't mean as much.
Honorable Mention: The Giants sweeping the Tigers. None of those games were any good because Copenhagen Nation decided to smear diarrhea all over themselves before all four games but we shall never forget that once again Detroit embarrassed themselves on the grandest stage of all. At least this time they actually were able to hit the first baseman with throws. Also never forget that this series taught us that Barry Zito is far superior Jut Earnhardt Jr.
10. NBA First Round Bulls over Nets in 3OT – This series didn’t have much in the way of star power but we can always remember that for a few hours, Nate Robinson was the most unstoppable basketball player on Earf.
9. NCAA Tournament (tie) Ohio/Iowa State, Ohio/Arizona, and Ohio/Wichita State – Now, we can all admit that we hate Aaron Craft because he’s always trying to fondle our balls through our pants, but these three games were pretty incredible. I’m still mad, bro, about that Craft three pointer to beat the Cyclones. That was TOTES weak sauce.
8. NHL Eastern Conference First Round Game 7 Boston over Toronto in OT – This is definitely one of the most improbable comebacks in recent memory. The Leafs led by three goals with less than 6 minutes left and somehow lost. Even if you know nothing about hockey, you should know that will likely never happen again—let alone in a game 7.
7. NLDS Game 5 St. Louis over Washington – I still remember the faces of those Nationals fans as they were one strike away from advancing to the NLCS and five minutes later Drew Storen had completely melted down into a pile of blood and piss on the mound. The Nats have still not recovered from that all-timer of a choke.
6. NFC Championship Game San Francisco over Atlanta – To me, I thought that this was a better game than the Super Bowl (which you will be surprised to know does NOT show up on this list). I thought that this game was terrific and didn’t have a 45 minute power outage or FEEL SEEMS.
5. NHL Western Conference Semis Game 7 Blackhawks over Red Wings in OT – LOL DREWSER! YOU SUCK!
4. College Football Texas A&M over Alabama – This was the only college football worth a shit this season (if I recall) and it was awesome. It was Johnny Football’s coming-out party on an absolutely massive stage and the only game that Alabama lost all season. We all loved Manziel for the following week and now we can collectively blame ourselves for enabling this burgeoning monster.
3. NBA Finals Game 6 Miami over San Antonio OT – The wound has still not healed on this one yet as the Spurs pissed away the title because they couldn’t box out Chris fucking Bosh. The NBA takes a lot of “heat” (ugh awful pun) from regular sports fans but if you didn’t enjoy this game then you should stop watching competitive sports altogether. Maybe give checkers a try.
2. College Basketball Louisville over Michigan – This was also just great basketball and a little more important than game 6 because we had a large portion of us directly affected by the outcome. That game was just awesome from the opening tip to the cutting of the nets. It would have been nice if Trey Burke Sucks would have shown up though instead of getting punked by Peyton Siva’s ELITE dad all night. Spike Albrecht can still eat all the dicks. WE ON!
1. NFL Divisional Round Baltimore over Denver OT – To me, no other game comes close to this one. I mentioned it at the time but I have never felt more exhausted after watching a football game that I had no rooting interest in. It was dramatic and great and heart-breaking and unbelievable and proved again that Peyton Manning is Deep Throat. You will always remember where you were when Joe Flacco proved to the world that he is ELITE and better than the middle Manning son. Plus, you know, BRAH!
There you go…my list of the ten best games from the last calendar year. Feel free to agree or disagree or add your own that I may have forgotten. Either way, I think that we can all agree that we sports fans have been spoiled with some true classics recently. We’ll see you back here on Monday morning with Drew’s second guest post. Out.