Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Monday Has A Feel. Friday Has A Feel. Thad Matta Has No Feel.

Deposit sperm here.
Yep, here I go again (on my own!!!), using local fodder to make up my own stories and troll Ohio Buckeye fans. But tonight begins the start of what is arguably the most important week of the season for Pear Nose’s bunch. Let’s face it: they’ve played like shit over the past two weeks after a moral victory in Ann Arbor where Aaron Craft hilariously played 1 on 5 for all of overtime. Tonight is the first of two huge home games this week with Tubby Smith’s black ass coming to town followed by Lupe Izzo’s husband arriving over the weekend. I get the feeling that we will know what this team is going to do next month after how they play over the next 80 minutes.

After the debacle in Madison on Sunday, Buckets implied to some idiot reporter that there were some chemistry issues. Well, any Brady could see that. Other than Narc and Thomas, it doesn’t appear like anyone knows what role they are supposed to be playing (at least on the wings). It’s something that has dawned on me recently when thinking about this program. What is Matta’s overall plan? I mean, how would you describe his style of play? Think about that—when you think of the good to great coaches, you always know exactly how they will play regardless of the players. Duke is going to shoot threes and be white. Michigan State is going to have a boatload of 3 and 4 year players that will kick your ass. Kentucky is going to run the Dribble Drive offense that Cal learned at Memphis. Syracuse is only going to have players that can’t guard. So I ask you, “What IS Thad Matta’s style?”

I ask this because it seems like this year’s collection of former high school studs don’t mesh well together at all*. It gets back to no one knowing their role. Sam Thompson is a high flyer but you don’t play a run and gun style. Ross is a moron but can apparently shoot yet it doesn’t seem like they try to run plays to get him open looks. You’ve got a couple of bigs that are strong enough to knock people into the first row for a ton of easy lay-ups (AKA Sparty Ball) but they don’t get to touch the rock (actually, that might not be the worst thing). Other than “we don’t sub and I’m going to run all of my starters into the ground”, I just can’t see any sort of fundamental tenets of this program.

*He’s been fortunate enough to steal a bunch of Big Tymers out of Indiana recently but it feels like Crean Pie isn’t going to be letting that happen too much anymore now that he’s got things rolling.

I’m not saying that that’s bad or anything because the results have been terrific. It just seems more and more apparent that Thad doesn’t recruit based on fit and that he just wants to hoard “talent”. Like I said, there’s nothing wrong with that it’s just that Thad’s peers seem to have a better grasp on who they want and how they will use them. THIS IS NOT AN ATTEMPT AT TROLLING. What is it like 5 conference titles in 7 years for Potato Nose? That’s really awesome and I’m one of America’s finest haters of your school. But come on, you don’t care (at least you shouldn’t) about Big Ten titles anymore. You only play for the titles that, you know, KENTUCKY WINS now.

Anyway, I got way off base there. Last month, I wrote up a TRANSCENDENT post where I posed the question about whether or not the Ohio Buckeyes could miss the tournament altogether. Well, in one short week, you’ve went from a high 3 seed to a middle 5 seed and sinking fast according to Lunardi. With two home losses this week, that could go to a 7 or an 8 seed and then who knows how things spiral out of control from there. You can say what you want to about the STREMPH of the Big Ten but it doesn’t mean all that much if you don’t beat anybody. Ohio is currently 1-7 against top 25 teams. The last team to do that was Iowa State in 2002. Do you even remember that squadron? Was Marcus Fizer or Fred Hoiberg still there? I’m sure that Larry Eustachy was CRUSHING puss and Natty Lights though. Every day is Naturday for Larry Eustachy.

Basically, what I’m trying to say here is that the Ohio Buckeyes need to get their shit together or this is going to be a very awesomely short March. Do you really want me to be right? Do you really want to have to apologize to Seal for being unoriginal and unfunny trolls? Well then you better win at least one of these home games this week or you can get your Kosta Koufos jerseys back out and perhaps start prepping for another run at NIT glory. You can LOLZ all you want to about this post, fags, but you know deep down that this team isn’t making the second weekend (if they even make it at all ***crossing fingers***). Go Gophers.

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

G$'s obsession with Ohio State sports is getting a bit creepy. One thing's for certain...nobody can say that the Buckeye fans here are always bringing up Ohio State anymore...cuz' it's the main topic of discussion 95% of the time nowadays.

Thad's plan is to have very athletic teams that play ELITE defense (which is why some very talented offensive players take a year or two to get lots of burn...he won't play you if you suck at defense). It's been damn successful too. Unfortunately, the defense has struggled the past couple of weeks and outside of Buckets and the occasional Q showing...this team can't shoot from outside at all.

To keep up with the Ohio State theme...Urban Meyer..Urban Meyer..Urban Meyer.

--Drew

Grumpy said...

Thanks for helping the American economy and ensuring Drew gets no work done today.

GMoney said...

I agree that defense seems to be his forte, but his offenses are never really consistent from year to year. He's basically Charlie Coles with way better recruiting skills. That is an insult.

It's February. Nothing is happening unless we want to talk about Tenor speaking at an intolerant church. I listen to local wonks on the radio. It isn't hard to figure out why these guys are my go-to for content.

IU/MSU game last night was awesome. I will likely pick both of those teams to go to the Final Four. Gary Harris is the TROOF. Oladipo is TROOFIER. I really want that hunchback stud on the Cavs.

GMoney said...

LOL at me shitting all over you turd suckers with sound logic and great points. Way to hide when someone points out how OVERRATED you are. At least Seal has an excuse for his team being underachievers.

What's going to happen next year when Buckets is gone and you're playing games in the 40s???

Prime99 said...

I feel like Grumpy after a baseball post. Nothing to see here.

However, to keep up with the Ohio State theme... Jay Burson..Jay Burson..Jay Burson.

Anonymous said...

Wait a second....Slow Seals team hasn't even been ranked for months. Get his cock out of your mouf.

You have only yourself to blame for a shitty topic.

The IU/MSU game was the bees knees with the exception of the horrendous officiating. Just awful. I still can't believe the continuation call by TV Teddy on the Zeller basket. ELITE nut shot by Nix.

Urban Meyer.

--Drew

Anonymous said...

Thats not true, Drew - for some odd reason, Kentucky was ranked last week when they played Florida (the game Nerlens got hurt).

Seal

Anonymous said...

We will win tonight. Their coach is a butterhead. I will be back later....
Go Bucks!!

GMoney said...

Again, Drew is wrong. This is a daily occurrence.

What else do you expect from Ted Valentine? Dueling nut shots was an excellent subplot to that game.

It's a great topic since is the most important week in your average season. FACT. You better win tonight because Lupe Izzo's husband isn't going to lose two in a row.

Brady said...

I'm by no means a college basketball expert but I agree that it seems like they have no plan. Especially on offense. Don't big time college programs usually have set plays and offense's that they run in games? The Buckeyes just seem to swing it around the perimeter looking for forced three's about 80% of the time. The rest of the time they throw it down low to Deshaun for a turn around in the paint.

That works against the bottom feaders because the Bucks just have better athletes. But when you try that crap against the elite talent it doesn't really work.

"The Americans" is on tonight!

Anonymous said...

You don't know what you're talking about, let men/actual college basketball fans have this discussion.
"The Americans" is on tonight!

GMoney said...

Is that you, Tolbert? If you're going to come at me, bro, have the stones to sign your idiotic comments (although with that Americans blurb, I'm guessing that it's Buke). I'd love for you to tell me where I'm wrong though. This will certainly be hilarious.

Brady is right to agree with me. You have no offensive identity and your sweet-shooting PG won't stop trying to blow everyone.

Jeff said...

Thad has definitely never been an offensive mastermind (Chris Jent is supposed to help with that, right?). He has recruited well enough to have a few play makers that can carry his teams through tough stretches and play great defense. With Deshaun not being able to do much off the bounce(you need another year in college, son) and create for others, this team goes as his shots go. Without a win tonight, this team will be hard pressed to get to 20 wins in the regular season, but this team could also win 4 of the last 5. We'll just have to see who shows up.

"The war will not be decided until March!"

Brady said...

Damn! Anonymous just put me in my place. That will teach me.

So the Buckeye's don't swing it around the permimeter looking for forced three's all the time? Maybe I'm watching the wrong team.

GMoney said...

Jeff, you're probably right, but my guess is that he's as good as gone.

Ice Man said...

How Brady intended to start his first comment: "in the 3 buckeye games I've watched this year...here is my assessment. Grumble grumble grumble...Urban Meyer....grumble grumble....Grady Sizemore...grumble grumble..."

Anonymous said...

Thank you Ice Man. In the 3 Buckeye games I've watched this year... this team does have deficiencies, but coming from someone that walks the dog during games and only is a "fan" when his team is playing well. Brady- wait until spring football starts to chime in on Ohio State athletics.

Buke

GMoney said...

Don't you go after Brady, Ice. He is on Team Money today and I always protect my bitches.

Happy 30th birthday to Justin Verlander! I hope that he is madly depressed after Kate Upton dumped him even though they were never together anyway because she is hot and he is a tool. SPAM CAKE FOR EVERYONE!

Brady said...

First off, I've watched way more than three games this year. Second, didn't I put a disclaimer on my first comment that read "I'm by no means a college basketball expert"? Are you guys saying I can't have any input into this discussion because I don't suck off Jay Bilas every night?

All I was saying is that if I can point out the major flaws with this team, anybody can.

Iceman, I would never include Grady Sizemore into any of my Indians grumblings. This isn't 2007. Jason Kipnis on the other hand...

Yours Truly,

Fake, Fringe, Bandwaggon basketball fan

Anonymous said...

G$- your assertion that Ohio State basketball is at the point of winning a national title or the entire season is a bust is one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever read on this site. I don't think that the most loyal Buckeye basketball fans Drew/Damman/myself were anticipating a national title this year.

I do believe we will win tonight and finish no worse than 11-7 in by far the best conference in America. I actually think 12-6 is a strong possibility. This team is definitely lacking in perimeter shooting and a reliable big man. Thad Matta has been an outstanding coach/recruiter in his 9 years in Columbus. You like to jump on him during the only real rough stretch in 4 years. Throughout his career his teams play well in late February and into March.

The bar has been raised, but we have a very competitive team in a "down" year. We WILL win tonight and Brady can once again call himself a fan....atleast until we lose again.

Go Buckets!
Go Bucks!!

Buke

Anonymous said...

This section needs more Boyd Crowder.

Ide

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I definitely forgot to mention how great "Justified" was last night. Colored folks make great bad guys.

Buke

GMoney said...

When you've won 5 conference titles in 7 years with multiple Final Fours sprinkled in, the next level of expectations is national title. Fair or not, it's a reality.

Great recruiter-yes; Great coach-ehhhhhhhhhh not so sure about that

We'll see. Tubby has a solid team that has been struggling a bit recently as well. Should be a good game (probably boring as shit).

Jackie Nevada needs to be on more. So does Art. And Arlo should only be allowed to say EEEEEEET SHEIIIIIIIIT.

GMoney said...

Also: Trey Burke still sucks. Oladipo is the player of the year.

Anonymous said...

G$- I would advise giving the 5.5 pts tonight. I think we will see the team that we saw @um 2 weeks ago. I think under 128.5 is probably a safe bet too.

Brady- I definitely like your take on all things Ohio state football, but fake OSU basketball fans are awarded the same level of respect from me as child rapists are afforded in prison. There are way too many people that claim to be diehard fans when we are rolling, but don't really care if the team hits a rough patch.

I say Ohio State 68-minnesota 56, and that is closer than the game will actually be played.

Go Bucks!!

Buke

GMoney said...

Hey Prime, how about Lorenzo Lamas's triumphant return! Chase is going to rue the day that he got rid of Randy The Asshole. Those paintings that Jake "made" for everyone with their spirit animals were ELITE!

Brady said...

Buke, I have no delusions of calling myself a diehard Buckeye basketball fan. I am definitely a fringe fan at best. I still root for them and watch when I can but never rearrange my life like during football season. I just wanted to throw my two cents in today. Do I throw my drunk observations on Twitter during the big games? Fuck yeah I do but you'll never hear me claiming that I know more than anyone else here when it comes to basketball.

That all being said, Go Bucks tonight! I will be watching.

Anonymous said...

I wasn't trying to go after you personally, even though I did. However, there are a lot of Buckeye fans that only tune in when we are really good.

I hope we win tonight for obvious reasons (shutting G$ up for a day or so) and giving us a shot at a 4 seed. I think that this team can still win a couple games in the B10 tourney and could possibly make the sweet 16 or better if everything falls into place.

G$-Bruce Bochy is a good friend of my boss and the 2 of us are likely going to see him at their training facility tomorrow or Friday. I'm pretty sure I remember you telling me he had the biggest head (literally) in baseball (8 inches I believe). Would it be in poor taste to call him watertower or vaughndaddy?

Buke

Anonymous said...

LOLZ at Buckeyes fans thinking they deserve a 4 seed.

Seal

GMoney said...

That was always a Rune call regarding the size of Bochy's head. Make sure you congratulate him on SWEEPING THE TIGERS.

Anonymous said...

LOLZ @ uk fans expecting anything better than a 4 seed in the NIT.

Buke

Prime99 said...

I will get caught up on Schmo tonight so we can talk about here while no else cares!

Mr. Ace said...

2 CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAINZ!