Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Return Of Fantasy Football Friday On Wednesday!!!

Yes, it's that time of year again finally
To kick off the first installment of Fantasy Football Friday, we’re going to focus on keepers. Specifically, we’re going to talk about MY keepers. I am well aware that keepers aren’t used in every league (not the DFL, MSFL, or G$FL) but it should help everyone get into the right mind frame now that your first draft is likely less than a month away. Actually, you know what; before I get into the meat of today’s post, let me give you some advice:

DON’T BUY FANTASY FOOTBALL MAGAZINES. I can’t stress this enough. All of that information is outdated by the time it hits the shelves of supermarkets and gas stations and is just a waste of money. Be a normal person and print off a rankings list from the internet. If you know anything about football, you just need a list of names in front of you anyway. You shouldn’t need to plunk down $7 to find out that ESPN rates Chris Johnson ahead of Tim Hightower. So there, I just saved you some money. Feel free to pay it forward the next time that you see me.

Back to keeper leagues though; I play in the illustrious and historic (Henry County based) GFL. The league has been in existence since—wait for it—1991! This is my 7th year in and I’m coming off a Super Bowl championship (thank you David Akers) with ideas of repeating. Since those last few sentences wouldn’t make any sense without this being true, the GFL is a keeper league. You can keep two players from the prior year. You can only keep a guy for one year. He costs the same as he did the year before ($200 salary cap auction league). You can’t keep two guys from the same position (not two RBS or WR/TEs). So you have to pick between keeping a QB, a RB, or a WR/TE (well, two of those three options).

When it comes to keepers, I’m usually of the mind that I like to hold onto cheap labor. For instance, someone like Santana Moss for $2 is more attractive to me than LarryFitz at $45. I like to have as much money available on Draft Day as possible because being involved in every auction is better than having salary cap issues before the first name is even brought up. Anyway, coming off of my title, my early keeper options were Antonio Brown for a buck and Maurice Jones-Drew for $40. Since MoJo appears to be on his way to a holdout, this isn’t looking like a very realistic option at the moment (and even so, I could probably get him for around the same price anyway). So I was stuck…until Monday afternoon.

One of the guys in the league is keeping Fat Stafford and wanted to double down with Megatron (who I rode to glory last year). Tron was never a keeper option for me because he was $57 and he is not 57 times better than Antonio Brown. So I humored him and asked what he was going to offer in return. He gave me a list that started off with dull names like Andy Dalton and Roy Helu Jr, but the last two names gave me a bone: AJ Green and Jimmy Graham. I asked what their price tag was. Three bucks each. Whoa, now we’re talking. I got greedy (sensing his burning lust for Tron) and asked if I could have them both even though I can only keep one. We settled on a trade where I gave up Colt McCoy, Dez Bryant, and Calvin Johnson for Andy Dalton ($1), AJ Green ($3), and Jimmy Graham ($3). That’s a hell of a haul considering that I wasn’t even considering Calvin as a holdover but now comes the hard part…

Who the fuck do I keep? I have to choose between Green and Graham for one spot. These guys are about the most equal fantasy value players that I can think of. Is Dalton for a buck worth my other keeper simply for a cheap back-up? How awesome is it to be able to keep double digit touchdown machines for 1.5% of your budget. I AM ELITE AT FANTASY FOOTBALL, PEOPLE, WHY AREN’T YOU PAYING ATTENTION TO THIS!!!

Obviously, I can still turn around and flip one of these guys. Looking at the other rosters, I’ll probably make a run at Cam “Ace Boogie” Newton for $2 but I am quite certain that he’s staying put (as he should). Another intriguing name is Ryan Mathews who is getting a ton of love this off-season and carries a $14 price tag (even if you don’t buy him , he is definitely worth fourteen imaginary bones—even you can admit that). Looking at the rest of that guy’s team, he doesn’t have much to keep so maybe a Dalton/Green combo can get me Mathews/Graham for a total of $17. It’s worth a shot. Anyway, if I made you choose today, who are you keeping: AJ or Jimmy?

Feel free to ask any fantasy questions in the comments and I will consult my own brilliance to give you top notch answers. You wanted the best? YOU GOT THE BEST. Goddamn I love this time of year. Nothing beats lying in bed wide awake thinking about fantasy football scenarios.

45 comments:

Grumpy said...

Oh Great One, should I start Ray Rice against the Steelers?

GMoney said...

Anybody that you pay over $50 for should start every week. Whew, that one was easy.

Updates on fantasy drafts:
DFL - will be a quasi-online/in-person draft on 8/18 at noon.
MSFL - Ask Ace; JSaul dropped out and has been replaced by Daniel
G$FL - GSaul has asked if it could be moved from Labor Day Sunday to actual Labor Day instead; would this be a problem???

Damn you, King Felix!!!

MUDawgfan said...

My league is a standard snake pick league and not auction. As such, the keeper you pick means your forfeit the pick in the round they were selected in the previous year.
You are also not allowed to keep anyone selected in rounds 1-3 last year.

I was going to keep Dez Bryant and lose my fifth round pick until he decided to throw his mother down a flight of stairs.

Now I think I'll use the G$ strategy of low cost/high upside selection and keep Pierre Garcon while giving up my 12th round pick.
Rotoworld says Garcon is impressing the offensive staff in DC and it seems like it's worth taking a flyer on a guy who had 900 yards and 6 TD's last year with absolutely nobody throwing to him.

Anyone eles use RotoWorld?

Anonymous said...

If and when RGIII comes out of the closet, what does that do to his fantasy value?

--Drew

GMoney said...

I assume that "comes out of the closet" means "is ELITE at football and life". It will be interesting to see where and how much Luck and RGIII go for this year. Everybody likes shiny new things and I could see both of them going for the same if not more than old boring fuckers like Matt Ryan and Matt Ryan.

Dawg, I wouldn't keep Dez for a FIF even if he wasn't a mom-beater. The guy was the FOURF option in that passing game last year. Romo clearly doesn't trust him. I think that Garcon for a TWELF is very good value. At worst, he is a solid #3 receiver but he has a ton of potential in an offense that I want to believe is going to put up some points this year. If I had both of these guys for say $10 each, I would still keep Garcon over Dez (no homer/homo).

Drew, are you OK with Labor Day for the draft? It gives me an extra day to work on my WANTED posters for the Lions.

Anonymous said...

Did anyone happen to see the Tigers fan at the Tribe game get blasted with a foul ball to the face while she was talking on her cell? Dumb ass.

Seal

The Iceman said...

First, having a WR/TE spot is gay.

Second, keep Graham over Green. Graham is the top option in an offense being run by a QB with no head coach. Something tells me there's going to be a lot of passing in New Orleans this year. Well...more than usual.

Third, I'll still buy mags every year. It's only $7 and gives me a chance to keep things a little old school. It's like all those people who still pay for a newspaper every day. Tradition.

Fourf, Dez Bryant's prostitute mother is now saying her son was not physically violent and it was a big misunderstanding. That family is so awesome.

Fiff, the mag my brother bought had RG3 ranked 8th in QBs and Luck ranked 14th. So to get either in an auction format...you'll pay big.

Prime99 said...

Iceman- Barely Legal ranks fantasy football players?

Also, Iceman - are you going to bid over or under $60 on Marmalard?

G$ - are players like Brees and Forte still trouble or are they ok because their contract were done before camp? Welker?

GMoney said...

If I had to pick today, I agree that I would likely choose Jimmy over AJ simply because the Saints are going to have to score 40 per game to win this year. But I still love Green.

You want to talk old school? The league that I'm talking about is still scored by the Cummish's cold hand and results are sent via email. It's why I love it.

I'm a little nervous (not much though) about karma coming back on Brees for running up the score on everyone last year. But I still would love to have him. Any offense run by Mike Tice should be a red flag.

Brady said...

Nice. Fantasy time! My problem is fairly straight forward. We are allowed two keepers this year in the big money league I've been part of for a decade. I have Shady McCoy so that is a given but who do I keep between Rivers and Cruz?

Obviously Rivers had a tough season last year with his TD/INT ratio but still was able to put up a ton of yardage. I picked Cruz up off of the waiver wire in week 3 (ELITE move) and he obviously had a sweet season. But he is now a known entity.

It is basically a standard scoring league however it does reward quarterbacks a little more than usual. Do you think Rivers turns it around this season? Is he worth the keeper pick? What would you guys do? I almost trust the commenters here more than my usual group of douchebag friends (Iceman not included).

GMoney said...

Brady, it would help if you tell me what these guys will cost you. I have an idea of what I want to say but not before I see the values.

Brady said...

It's not your standard auction style. The guy who runs this league isn't the greatest. You are allowed to keep two players from last year's team but it can't be three years in a row for any single player. No $ value to anyone.

GMoney said...

OK then. No money cost or draft round cost. That said, I keep Cruz. Let's be honest: Rivers isn't that great. The tier of QBs that he's in is deep and not ELITE. Plus, who is he throwing to? V-Jax is gone and Gates is a month away from his most recent crippling toe injury. If you believe in Robert Meachem and Eddie Royal then I want you in every league that I play in. This is the year that Norv gets fired. Coaches don't get fired when their QB is other-worldly.

Cruz looks like he is the best overall receiver on a team that throws a lot and is good. Keep the salsa dancer.

The Iceman said...

"18 young and tight" has top notch fantasy advice, Prime. You have to think outside the box sometimes. And I was unlucky to catch Marmy on a bad year. He's too good to put up 2 consecutive clunkers. I would take him again, but only for the right price.

Brady, the real question is are you forced to keep 2 players. If the answer is no, then you only keep McCoy. Here's why. Do you think Rivers or Cruz will be drafted in the first 2 rounds? If the answer is yes, they're a keeper. If its no, then you throw them back in and take your chances. Rivers (in a snake draft) will always be available in the 3rd-6th rounds. As far as Cruz goes...I'm always cautious to keep or draft early WRs who had awesome years for the first time the season prior. They flame out so often and it drives you fucking crazy. But if you league rules madate you to keep 2...G$ is correct. Victor all the way.

Anonymous said...

G$...I don't know why I couldn't make it on Labor Day.

--Drew

Brady said...

I'm sold. Cruz it is. I just needed one more fantasy gurĂº to tell me that was the move to make.

Brady said...

I think that Cruz would definitely go in the first two rounds but I had the same concern as you. I'm leaning towards keeping him but I May throw them both back in and take a chance.

GMoney said...

Brady, I'm sorry that you have to hear this from me but if these are your three keeper options then you were a terrible GM last year.

OK then, if Drew is in for Monday 9/3, then we will set that for the G$FL Draft date. Take a bow, GSaul, we just moved the date FOR YOU AND YOU ALONE.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I feel special! When are you doing the draft lottery? If Buke is not back before the draft, I can do the honors as the runner-up.

-GSaul

GMoney said...

Quick story about keepers:

I blew 70% of my auction budget on Brady and Steven "The Worst" Jackson the year that Brady blew out his knee in the first half of the first game which ended my season although somehow I won 2 games with 13 straight weeks of starting Jason Campbell. To be fair, our draft started three hours late and I had already been drinking since 9 AM so by the time that the first name was brought out, I had been drinking heavily for 6 hours and was incapable of rational thought. I actually drafted Shaun Suisham or fuck's sake although on my piece of paper, it was spelled "svnaurgbv fd".

The next year when it came time to turn in keepers, my roster was so void of talent that I was considering a kicker. I ended up keeping Ray Rice (who did little his rookie season but ended up being a saavy choice) and Chris Henry. Three months later, Chris Henry is dead. The point is that if I keep you, there is at least some chance that you will DIE during the season. ELITE! Sweet dreams, Jimmy Graham or AJ Green!!!

GMoney said...

Hmmmmm, I had not considered the lottery being an issue. I'll have to think about that. Maybe I'll let my dog pick or something.

The Iceman said...

There's no way in hell Cruz goes in the first 2 rounds. You're telling me Victor Cruz is one of the 24 best fantasy players? False.

Brady, do you have to keep 2? Is it a league requirement?

GMoney said...

Ice, he probably is after each team keeps two guys. Cruz is definitely going in the first four rounds of every draft. Don't doubt the master.

Brady said...

You don't have to keep two. If there are any teams with less than 2 players to start the draft, those teams get picks in the "2nd" round (I'm assuming everyone has at least one keeper). Do you think it would be wise to let Marmalard and Cruz go for a shot at someone else in the 2nd?

I finished 3rd out of 12 last year, G$. I'm not that horrible. I at least got my money back for 3rd place.

Mr. Ace said...

Ok, so for the MSFL we have Myself, G$, Ice, Damman, Daniel, Lil Strut, Grump, Lange, and Prime that are in for sure. G$, can you get some confirmation from Wig Master and Naptown Wolverine aka Fagnasty? I assume Ide/Columbus's hottest bar tender are in...

I would keep both.

GMoney said...

Yeah, let me see what I can do.

Anonymous said...

buy valium purchase of valium - valium 10 mg daily

Anonymous said...

purchase xanax xanax overdose how much is too much - xanax bars china

Anonymous said...

diazepam for dogs where to buy diazepam 10mg - diazepam 70 mg

Anonymous said...

buy diazepam the drug diazepam - buy 5mg diazepam online usa

Anonymous said...

buy xanax overnight delivery methocarbamol xanax drug interactions - xanax everyday

Anonymous said...

diazepam 10 mg buy diazepam online cheap - use of diazepam in dogs

Anonymous said...

zolpidem cost zolpidem tartrate vs zolpidem - zolpidem 10mg shape

Anonymous said...

diazepam 10mg long does 2mg diazepam work - diazepam 2 mg

Anonymous said...

can you buy xanax online legally buying xanax from canada online - xanax and breastfeeding

Anonymous said...

buy diazepam diazepam dosage for dogs with seizures - diazepam side effects mayo clinic

Anonymous said...

ativan sale ativan - side effects of ativan during pregnancy

Anonymous said...

alprazolam without prescription xanax klonopin conversion - buy xanax online from europe

Anonymous said...

cheap lorazepam lorazepam 1mg clonazepam - happens if overdose ativan

Anonymous said...

soma no prescription buy soma online ship to florida - carisoprodol off label uses

Anonymous said...

buy valium online buy valium from canada - valium sale 10mg

Anonymous said...

purchase soma carisoprodol 350 mg looks like - somanabolic muscle maximizer price

Anonymous said...

buy soma online soma drug half life - carisoprodol abuse potential withdrawal syndrome

Anonymous said...

buy generic valium no prescription effects valium vertigo - buy valium turkey

Host PPH said...

You are doing a great job with those pictures. I have to admit that this one is quite hilarious.