Friday, August 20, 2010

The Andre Johnson Dilemma and Other Nonsense

Man, football is so great.
I've got sort of a bunch of different ideas today regarding different aspects of fantasy football.  We're going to move around quickly today, watch me for the beat, and try to keep up.  I don't know about you guys, but I'm starting to lose sleep over this.  I will literally spend 30 minutes staring into the dark and thinking up draft scenarios.  I love it.  Sure, I'm tired as fuck all the time now, but it's worth it.  Because if I'm sacrifing z's in the name of football...well, that's what men do.

*First things first, I got into a bit of an argument yesterday in the comments over at KSK about fantasy scoring.  It seems that most of the people over there play in PPR leagues and where QB's only get 4 points per TD pass.  I've been playing fantasy for over 15 years now and I have never done one of these.  I figured it was just something different that few people do.  But after doing research, Yahoo and ESPN both have their default settings set this way.  Personally, this seems stupid.  I disagree with both of these.  They sound horrible.

PPR first.  I'm tired of hearing about leagues that give points out like candy on Halloween.  Points per reception?  Really?  That's what they are supposed to do!  Would you really want to play in a league where Wes Welker gets a point for a three yard catch?  Fantasy football shouldn't be complicated.  I like to focus more toward TD's.  You want points?  SCORE.  Don't even get me started on fractional points.  That's dumber than BYU thinking they are Notre Dame.  Or dumber than Roger Clemens.

I've been watching football for a long time and I've yet to see a 4 point touchdown.  Never.  I don't like the idea of lessening the value of QB's.  A quarterback is the most important player in real football, why should that change for us dorks?  It's fucking stupid.  But enough of that.

Johnson will never be the greatest Andre
*I've been scouring the mock drafts pretty hard recently and one thing that has caught my eye is that people are taking Andre Johnson anywhere from the 9th-to-11th pick.  What do you guys think?  Could you bring yourself to taking a WR in the first round?  Or spending 30-35% of your auction salary on him?  I don't think that I could.  Maybe it's my problem but I just don't value WR's as highly as some others might.  I consider WR's like pitchers in baseball.  I will never draft a pitcher before the 8th round in baseball...and it works for me.  With receivers, I just can't take them early.  There are too many factors working against them.  They can be double-teamed.  They don't control their touches.  If their QB gets hurt, they are worthless.  At least if you go RB first, the ceiling is higher.  I don't know, what do you think?  I couldn't take a WR with my first pick.

*Stay the fuck away from Percy Harvin.  I'm not going to call him a bitch, but he's kind of a bitch.  Migraines probably suck and all, but come on...  And feel free to move the Vikings players up your draft boards again.

*A few years ago, one of my buddies told me that he was in a league where they took the ESPN top 100 players and threw them all out.  They couldn't be drafted.  You had to make a decent team with average players.  This seems stupid but kind of fun at the same time.  Imagine drafting David Garrard with the first pick and being pumped about it.  This got me thinking of a potential reverse fantasy league.  Instead of offensive players, you take only defensive players.  You get points for tackles, TFL, sacks, picks, passes defensed, whatever.  And you can only draft offfensive units.  Sounds interesting, doesn't it?  I mean, I'm not going to do it but I should probably copyright it.  I would take Patrick Willis first.

That's it.  I'm done.  See you Monday.

10 comments:

Grumpy said...

I guess you're allowed to mail it in on Friday.

Mr. Ace said...

Damn...I agree with all of that. The PPR league especially pisses me off. Let's take the Welker 3 yard reception idea. In a regular league, it would take Welker 4 of those receptions to get to 12 yards, and one point. But with 4 of those receptions in a PPR league he is already up to 5!!! That's fucking stupid. Almost as stupid as 4 points per TD.

Did Bernard Berrian just become a top 25 WR?

I don't do snake draft formats, but even in an auction league I won't go after a Moss, Marshall, or Johnson because there is better value in WR down the line than there is RB. If I'm dumping money on a top player, it's a QB or RB.

Anybody else pissed off about this Roger Clemens shit? I'm not getting political, but it's just fucking stupid for government resources to be wasted on that piece of white trash.

GMoney said...

Grump, while you are just being a bag of dicks, you are right. I didn't have a good "feel" about this post from the start. It could have been because I was trying to get it over with to watch Jersey Shore.

Angelina farting in Snooki's mouth...priceless. And Vincenzo not wanting anything to do with law school broads because he wanted them to focus on dick and not studying...just great.

To be fair, they didn't really care about Clemens. He asked to speak to them. And then he lied his ass off to them. Judge Denise should fart in his mouth.

Anonymous said...

Commenter Daniel is trying to pressure me into making the DFL a ppr league. Perfect timing for this post. Maybe daniel will finally stfu. I'm a traditionalist dammit!

I'd rather take one of the better QBs than take a WR in the first round. Normally my WRs are piece work.. Like Muhammad Massaquoi or Devery Henderson leading the way.

Dut

Mr. Ace said...

Daniel is irrational after the loss of his beloved Pumpkin. You can't listen to anything he says right now.

After reading the KSK mailbag, I really wish there could be a Money Shot mailbag. How fucking awesome would that be? We are full of great advice here. And even if it's horrible advice it will still be hilarious...like when I told Daniel to propose to his girlfriend. What an idiot.

GMoney said...

And two more things:

1. Why would anyone play FF without money being involved?
2. Why would anyone play FF with complete strangers? Talking shit is half the battle.

The KSK Sexbag is one of the finest columns on the internet.

Why would Daniel want to go PPR when Lee Evans is lucky to catch two balls per game?

MuDawgfan said...

Here's a question for the Money Shot commenting crew: Special Team's TD's or No Special Teams TD's?

We're debating making some changes right now to our league and Special Teams TD's are a hot topic.

1. Do you like them or do you dislike them?
2. Who do you pair them with?
A. You take the Special Teams of the kicker you select
B. You take the Special Teams of the defense you select
C. You take neither - you simply accure TD's if you start a Special teams PR/KR in a wide receiver or flex spot.


Any input would be much appreciated.

Mr. Ace said...

Defense/Special Teams is the only way to go. Any other way is lame.

GMoney said...

In my league, I ignore special teams. In Dut's league, we pair them with the defense. Either way is fine. It doesn't bother me at all. You just better not award points for return yards...that's homo shit.

One good/bad thing is that if someone starts Cribbs and (for some reason) the Browns D/ST, there is some serious double touchdown potential there.

The Iceman said...

Let me tell you...I've been in a PPR/four points for quarterback TDs keeper league for the past 5 years and it fucking blows. This league also penalizes points for fumbles and interceptions on top of not awarding quarterbacks the full 6. The only reason I remain in this league is because I refuse to let this format beat me. I know I can find a way to win the championship and I will continue to crumble up and shove a $50 up my own ass every year until that happens. Just to give you an idea of how cock-sucking gay this league is...one year i had Bobby Engram and he scored over 20 fantasy points for 3 straight weeks. THREE! Bobby Engram shouldn't be drafted in most leagues and he should never have this much value. Fuck PPR leagues.