Wednesday, July 29, 2009

R.I.P. Jim Johnson

I don't know why, but this news really came as a surprise to me. Johnson always seemed like he had a sort of Clint Eastwood persona that could grit his teeth and push through whatever was in his way. His most recent bout with cancer proved to be too much. And I don't know why, but my immediate reaction was a tear up like a just lost somebody close to me. I have never met this man and have only actually seen him in person a handful of times, but yet I feel such an attachment.

I could go on forever about the accolades he deserves and how he is one of the greatest defensive strategists the NFL has ever seen. But he has been so much more than that to so many people, like Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh:
"I loved Jim Johnson. This is a sad day for so many people who were touched by this great man. Ingrid and I, the Harbaugh family, and the Ravens have Jim’s wife, Vicky, and the Johnson family in our thoughts and prayers. Jim was a tremendous teacher of football and life. He had a special ability to bring out the best in people while getting you to see the best in yourself. He saw potential and developed it. He made me believe I could coach at this level. In football, he was a pioneering and brilliant strategist, changing the way defense is played in the NFL. For me, he was a father-type mentor, and above all, a cherished friend. He belongs in the Hall of Fame. I will miss him so much."
Brian Dawkins:
“This is a sad, sad day for myself and my Philadelphia family. Jim was tailor-made to coach in Philadelphia. He was a tough coach who wasn’t afraid to let you know how he was feeling, but at the same time, he cared about us deeply. He was an absolute blessing to me with the way he used me on the football field and allowed me to show my God-given ability. His confidence in me meant so much—he looked to create new defenses each week to utilize my talents. I have been praying for him every day, and those prayers won’t stop now. I’ll be praying for his family and their comfort during this difficult time.”
R.I.P. Jim Johnson.

5 comments:

GMoney said...

As much as I hate the Eagles, Johnson was a stud. Dude knew his shit. Might have been the best defensive mind in the game.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it sucks he's gone. Johnson was one bad ass DC. But for the record, Jim Harbaugh coaches at Stanford, John works for the purple fags in Baltimore. Just FYI

-Mike

rstiles said...

I agree with you 100%...for some reason it bothered me too...I thought I was the only one who felt that way...

Anonymous said...

Burn In Hell Jim Johnson!

MUDawgfan said...

With the departure of Monte' Kiffin to UT and Johnson's passing - the NFC has lost its two greatest defensive minds.

Go Falcons.