Thursday, February 26, 2009

They Don't Need A Staff Infection


Before I get going with the crux of today's post, I would like to recommend The Sports Paddio to all of my readers. The site gives you a chance to banter back and forth with the likes of me, Damman, Irishman, and sometimes commenter Lester Worm Murphy on the non-blog post worthy topics in the sporting/outside world. Check out the forum and you will get a chance to see my slant on a wide variety of topics that I don't talk about here...and it passes through office firewalls so it will keep you busy throughout the day.

Anyway, last year I posted the results of an NFL mock draft that we did over there (and I will be doing again this year). There were 8-10 of us that picked random teams and had a go at trying to predict the future. Shut up, G$, everyone knows how a mock draft works. So, we started one up again this year and I picked the Lions as a team that I wanted to pick for (along with the Skins and Bucs). Because I wanted to set the tone, dammit. That being said, should the Lions really draft Matthew Stafford #1 overall?

I decided that, no, they should not. Ever since I knew that I was a faux Matt Millen, I had my heart set on Alabama OT, Andre Smith. But he decided that he was crazy so I had to throw that idea out. The Lions have had enough problems over, well, the entire run of the franchise, they don't need a player going AWOL whenever he damn well wants.

I decided on Jason Smith, OT, Baylor. Sure, the QB play in Detroit is incredibly mediocre. But you can attribute that to having to run for their lives. If you can keep them upright and they can get the ball to Calvin Johnson, does it really matter who throws the ball? I don't think so. Here are 5 big reasons that I think that a tackle (Eugene Monroe could be the pick, too) is a better option for the Lions at #1 over Stafford.

1. Jim Schwartz - They just hired this guy to run the team and he's known as a smashmouth kind of coach. He's there to bring a physical, tough culture back to the Lions. It's time to stop being pushovers.

2. Rebuilding - Any idiot knows that you rebuild from the inside-out. You start with the lines and worry about the skill players later. Since I'm sort of in the housing market now, pay attention to the foundation first and worry about what kind of awesome TV to get later.

3. Minimizing the Risk - The Lions draft strategy has been quite laughable in recent years. Charles Rogers, Mike Williams, Drew Stanton, you name them, they sucked. The Draft is far from a sure thing, but getting a potential franchise, 10 year left tackle is a much safer bet than a QB that could end up being the next David Carr. The bust percentage of QB's is much, MUCH higher than that of tackles. Hell, even Robenrt Gallery has begun reaching his potential since the Raiders moved him inside to guard.

4. Early Entry QB's - The track record is there. There are some exceptions, but for the most part, quarterbacks that leave college early for the NFL tend to be terrible. Obviously, Stafford has the tools to be great, but are the Lions willing to risk 70 million dollars on it? Honestly, had Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco had rotten years this season, I don't think that anyone would have Stafford going #1.

5. Jake Long - It wasn't a sexy pick last year, but he kept Pennington off of his back, was a big reason that the Dolphins made the playoffs after a 1-15 season, and I believe he made the Pro Bowl. Again, the safe pick is almost always the better pick.

Who knows. Maybe Stafford will be the real deal. But I just don't think that it's the right time for the Lions to go after a QB in the draft. After all, a QB won't be good throwing from his back if he's got no blocking. Maybe I'm just making too much sense. Hell, the Lions will probably end up taking Todd Boeckman #1 overall. Idiots. I really should be running an NFL team.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a long time Detroit Lions fan, I actually have a feeling that maybe, just maybe the lions have a chance to start turning this organization around, with the changes that have already taken place. I can only hope that Matthew Stafford has an amazing combine and that one team will want to trade up for him, and give the lions more picks.(I think and hope Culpepper still has some gas in the tank for the lions to avoid picking a QB with the first overall pick.) We have picks in these rounds (1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd.) Now if we can trade down and get a lower 1st round pick and at least a 3rd round pick out of it..that would give us 6 picks in the first 3 rounds. What the lions need to do is get some O-line and D-Line help and with these picks. Personally, I think we need to do this in order to fill in just a "few" of the missing links. I don't know what free agency will hold or if anyone will even want to come to Detroit, but hey all I know is I don't think things can get much worse after last season. All we need is 1 win and we are better than last year!

---Lange

Anonymous said...

G$, I agree. I do not want the lions to even consider taking stafford. If they take an OL, I'd prefer they trade down. I'm sure they will have a top 5 pick again next year and can go after McCoy, Bradford, or your man-crush Tebow. If they keep the #1 I think they should start putting out feelers for my man-crush Michael Crabtree. At least they could trade the pick if they threaten to take the best player in the draft at #1, which is what I think should always happen regardless of need. -GSaul

Anonymous said...

Yesterday Kosta Koufos, today Lions draft talk. Wow, this site has officially hit the shits.

-Damman

Anonymous said...

I'm cool with Jason Smith or even Aaron Curry...yeah LB's don't get taken # 1...blah blah...I don't give a fuck. He's the shit bomb-dizzle and having him and Ernie Sims would actually give the Lions a strength. I also want that Ole Miss DT with our second first round pick.

I'd also rather have Dirty Sanchez than Stafford.

Also, as for Boeckman #1. At a cook out over the summer I got into an argument with a dude as to how good Boeckman was. I bet him $ 100 that he would NOT be a first round pick. He's waiting until draft day to pay me which is fine...but free scrilla it is.

--Drew

Mr. Ace said...

I hear the Lions are eying Brian Hartline with the #1 overall.

The Colts drafted Peyton Manning #1 30 years ago when they were "rebuilding"...that didn't turn out so bad. Sure Manning was a "can't miss", but so was Ryan Leaf.

But I do have to agree. Andre Smith would have been my choice if he didn't go all Barret Robbins since the end of the season. If they keep the pick, they have to go with Smith. I would trade down, but that's not really up to them. But we are still talking about the Lions. The team that fired Matt Millen and promoted two of his understudies. 3 WR's come off the board in their first 4 picks.

GMoney said...

First of all, nobody is trading up for that first pick. Unfortunately, they are stuck.

Damman, would you prefer it if I talked about A-Rod's home run yesterday or Travis Hafner's steroid problems? I help get you through your day at work so you have to live with random Lions-related topics.

KoKo is making a strong case for being the mascot of this blog.

Dustin said...

Lange-

You're an idiot (I'm copying off G$ because idiot is his new word of the week!). Daunte Culpepper? Really?

Anonymous said...

Dustin-

Yes, Daunte Culpepper...if the lions could get an O-line, let's wait and see...How is DA doing nowadays. I think you are the last person that should be calling anyone an idiot.

---Lange

Dustin said...

Lange- I'm sure the Lions would love to have DA. He is better than Culpepper. Have you been hanging out with Moden? You're starting to sound like him.

GMoney said...

You have no room to talk, Dut. At least the Lions have won a playoff game in the past 20 years (not sure if this is an accurate statement regarding the Browns' futility).

DA couldn't start at Napoleon.

Anonymous said...

I was waiting for the Moden comment..but I am not promising anything, I just think the lions aren't going to win a ton of games with a new QB, so we may as well build the O-line and D-line first and then next year take a QB if one is available. I'm ok with Daunte as for this year if that's all we can do. Unlike you, Dustin, I am realistic with my teams. Tigers blood shed for thee.

--Lange

Anonymous said...

The Browns last playoff was 1994 so you're wrong there. I believe that is more recent than the Lions last playoff win, though I'm not sure on that.

So in summary, the Browns are a great franchise.

Lions fans shouldn't talk shit Browns fans and Browns fans shouldn't talk shit to Lions fans.

-Damman

Anonymous said...

Michael Vick to the Detroit Lions???....There's always room for one more "G" in Detroit. Does anyone know how far down the draft board Andre Smith has fallen?

Lange

Anonymous said...

That should be the Browns last playoff win was 1994.

-Damman

Dustin said...

I said nothing of the Browns. All I said was that Culpepper sucks and you're an idiot for thinking he'll be good. And I do have room to talk. I believe last time the Browns and Lions met the Browns stuck it in their ass! 7 picks!

Anonymous said...

Dustin,
Again, I can always rely on you for making my point for me. I believe you are speaking of a preseason football game and therefore you are a complete idiot. Only you would care about something like that. The lions could throw 100 picks in a preseason game and I could care less. Unfortunately for you, the last time the Lions and Browns did play, your boy Mr. Jeff Garcia beat the Browns. Now that is what I consider a joke. (And don't come back at me with Jeff Garcia is a good QB, because I believe when the Browns had him, he was your least favorite player.

Lange

GMoney said...

Thank you, guys. Listening to you skidmarks debate "Who's Shittier" really makes this Skins fan feel like he roots for a winner.

17+ comments on a Lions topic, eh? I think that this team has earned some more press from this blog.

Dustin said...

Lange-

I forgot about the exciting 2005 game. I was referring to 2001 when Detmer threw 7 INTs. I'm not that stupid to take anything away from a preseason game. Maybe you should have stopped paying attention after the preseason this year. Weren't the Lions 4-0??

Jeff said...

Just call up the Rooneys and the rest of the Steelers front office and take notes.