Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A-Rod Again


Like it or not, this is a big-ass story. And the conversation will continue (and hopefully end) today. This is the story of the year. Considering that I write this blog for myself first and my readers second, I tend to discuss topics that are meaningful in my scope as a sports fan. And that is where we are right now. I said yesterday that there is no way that A-Rod will ever admit to taking steroids and, lo and behold, he sits down with Peter Gammons and lays it all out there. Now it is up to the public to critique.

I found it to be fascinating. Maybe it's because you never hear an athlete be this candid, but the entire interview was gripping. A-Rod put it all out there: his past transgressions, his apology, his story. Let's break it down.

"Back then, [baseball] was a different culture," Rodriguez said. "It was very loose. I was young. I was stupid. I was naive. And I wanted to prove to everyone that I was worth being one of the greatest players of all time."

I guess I can understand this. From what we know now, it was a freaking free for all in the clubhouses around the game back then. Now I'm not going to feel sorry for him because he had massive expectations to live up to that contract, but I think that we can all see what kind of pressure it would put on someone to perform. Not an excuse though.

"I did take a banned substance. And for that, I am very sorry and deeply regretful."

I believe him. Maybe I'm being naive but I think that he is sorry for cheating (probably more sorry for getting caught but nevertheless). I've seen many A-Rod interviews over the years and the guy can't act. He was contrite and regretful in that interview. That was not fake.

"I'm guilty for a lot of things. I'm guilty for being negligent, naive, not asking all the right questions. And to be quite honest, I don't know exactly what substance I was guilty of using."

Hmmmm, now here is where I raise a red flag. The "I didn't know" defense didn't fly for Palmeiro. But then again, Alex isn't very smart so maybe he didn't know what he was doing. But I highly doubt that.

"I'm finally beginning to grow up. I'm pretty tired of being stupid and selfish, you know, about myself. The truth needed to come out a long time ago. I'm glad it's coming out today."

Thank you. It is time to stop being selfish. And don't give me that shit that "he's only apologizing because he got caught". Well, of course he is. Do you turn yourself in to the cops every time that you catch yourself speeding? Do you tell your girlfriend/wife every time you go to Hooters and daydream about motorboating a waitress? Do you admit to your parents that eventhough they were asleep, you got home two hours past your curfew smelling of cheap beer and the clap? No, because that would be ridiculous. When you get busted, you come clean. Not before. Not three months after. He did this the right way (surprisingly). You admit your mistake and, over time, people will forgive. It's the nature of the beast.

On "60 Minutes," when he denied ever using steroids, that "at the time, Peter, I wasn't even being truthful with myself. How am I going to be truthful with Katie or CBS?"

That was pretty corny but, again, there was no need to throw himself under the bus.

"They are looking in the wrong places," Jose Canseco said in a text message to The Associated Press. "This is a 25-year cover-up. The true criminals are Gene Orza, Donald Fehr and [commissioner] Bud [Selig]. Investigate them, and you will have all the answers."

Thank you, Jose. I could not agree more.

OK, so what it boils down to, for me at least, was that A-Rod took all the blame. And he needed to. Don't blame anyone else but yourself. He wasn't angry at MLB for not shredding records or SI for reporting it (eventhough he got pissy about the reporter who was apparently stalking him). He blamed himself and apologized for it. And eventhough he will always be branded a cheater, I found it commendable that he was so forthright this soon. Like it or not, he is still going to get into the Hall of Fame. In 9 years when his career ends, he will likely have well over 800 home runs. It's going to happen and this may only be a blip on his resume. This isn't the same as Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens. This is the absolute right move for those players that have used and been busted.

One thing that I can not wait to see is that first home game in the new Yankee Stadium against the Indians. A-Rod will come up to bat for the first time and the Yankee faithful will give him a standing ovation. I will guarantee this. Because if there is one thing that sports fans embrace, it's giving people second chances. And no fan base does it better than Yankees fans, the best fans in the world.

Your thoughts on the press conference, please? And I will try my best not to get too defensive.

13 comments:

Upstate Underdog said...

"And no fan base does it better than Yankees fans, the best fans in the world."

I concur

Grumpy said...

You have become an apologist for cheaters. How would you feel if you now found out that I cheated on the Econ. final in college by looking over your shoulder, giving me the final credits I needed to graduate?

GMoney said...

You would not have passed the class or graduated then, Grumpy.

I wouldn't say that I'm an apologist for cheaters either. I think of myself as someone willing to give a second chance to people who feel remorse for bad past decisions. A-Rod? Yes. Pacman Jones? Get the fuck out. Michael Phelps? Sure. Barry Bonds? Are you kidding.

Mr. Ace said...

You're a retard. I couldn't even read all of this. All I was reading was blah blah blah I would totally suck off A-Rod if he would let me.

How can you possibly believe a word he says? A couple weeks ago if A-Rod would have told you that Madonna had a third nipple, you couldn't give that statement any credibility...even though it is probably true. He is full of shit. Now he admits to cheating and he can tell no lie.

Do you really believe that was the only time he PED's? Get the fuck out of here. He did exactly what Pettitte did, which is good enough to get the media and public off your back. But don't fucking tell me he hasn't done it since then. That is pure bullshit.

Jeff said...

Now he wants to tell kids his story and have them learn from it??? That's the biggest load of crap/lets see if everyone will feel sorry for him I've ever heard. Nice try A-Rod, you cheated and will always be a cheater. No way he gets in the HOF.

Allan Stokke said...

Do steroids turn your skin orange and your lips purple?

I'm not big on this story because I already knew ARod was a huge DBag, this just more evidence in support of it.

The real question is who are the other players on that list. Pujols? Mark Tiexieria, ARod's teammate in Texas (along with Juan Gonzalez and Palmeriero)?

Allan Stokke said...

Also are sexy shirtless pictures of ARod really necessary? I like girls, no matter how many sexy ARod pics you put in your post I'm not going to change my mind.

/I swear I like girls. Shut up. You're gay, not me.

GMoney said...

You better believe that I googled "shirtless A-Rod"!

Ace, now you know how I feel when you waste my time writing about something as gay as MMA or recruiting. Whoops, just fell asleep.

Jeff, he's going to get in. As soon as everyone accepts that most players of this era were doing it, the better off we will all be. The guy is going to hit 800 home runs. And what happens down the road? Are they just going to stop electing people into the hall of fame? Hell, they put Cal Ripken in there and you can't tell me that the guy played 2200+ games in a row with clean blood. That is the biggest lie in the game.

Anonymous said...

At least A-Roid did not forget how to speak English during the interview like Sammy Sosa did during the Senate hearings. But I think A-Roid was lying a lot during the interview. He was sweating so much it looked like he just got out of the shower. Sort of like the pic that G$ posted. -GSaul

Tony B. said...

"Do you turn yourself in to the cops every time that you catch yourself speeding? Do you tell your girlfriend/wife every time you go to Hooters and daydream about motorboating a waitress? ... No, because that would be ridiculous."

AGREED. As a non-Yankee fan, I agree with you G$. People do shit that's wrong every day, but their lives aren't scrutinized the way celebrities are. A-Rod did the right thing, and while some of it is a little fishy, I think it was satisfactory. Can we let this bullshit go? Pitchers and catchers report Saturday!

Dustin said...

I gained a lot of respect for a rod when he admitted it. Yankee fans are the best!?!? I guess booing the MVP every time he comes to the plate and doesn't hit a home run makes you the best.

GMoney said...

Dut, now you're on the trolly. No player is un-boo-able.

Randolph said...

Coming out and admitting to steriods was a good move but he should have stopped there.
He clearly dodged any questions as to where he got the drugs and who introduced it to him.
The whole "I didnt know what I was taking." is nothing but bullshit to avoid any potential legal issues.
Also its bullshit he says his huge contract is what stressed him out and led him to this.
Nobody is going to feel sorry for the pressure you feel from a contract that big. Deal with the pressure without the drugs you big vagina.