Friday, February 13, 2009

10 Year Reunion


Yesterday, I told you all that I had big plans for Saturday night. It is something that I have been looking forward to ever since the minute that I heard it was taking place. Tomorrow night, Miami University will be honoring the Sweet Sixteen team from 1998-1999. It's the ten year anniversary of the team that made me fall in love with college hoops and I would not miss this event for anything in the world. Now it does come with strings attached. I do have to sit through a probable shitty game between the Western Michigan John Saunders's and my RedHawks. And I'm dragging She$ down to Oxford with me...on Valentine's Day. She is so lucky to be marrying me.

Unfortunately, this team reached the Sweet Sixteen during my senior year of high school and never got back to the dance during my 4 years there. It sucked. But that's not saying that I don't have my own brilliant memories of RedHawk basketball. The first thing that comes to mind was during my freshman year when I called Charlie Coles' house and conducted an interview with him before the 2000 MAC tournament. I had no affiliation with any publication, I just did it for my boys in Havighurst Hall. And to my credit, it was a pretty solid fake interview for a 19 year old dickbag trying to make a prank phone call. There will be another time for that tale to be told though. But anyway, back to the 98-99 team.

The '98-'99 team was lead by the great Wally Szczerbiak (who graced the cover of both Sports Illustrated and The Sporting News that year). They received an at-large bid and were given a ten seed in the tourney. After beating Todd MacCullough's Washington Huskies in the first round by a point, the RedHawks completely dominated Andre Miller's Utah Utes in the second round due to some rare hot shooting from the mediocre Jason Stewart and tough post play from John Estick. They couldn't keep it going into the second weekend of the tournament as Tayshaun Prince's UK Wildcats sent them home (soundly I might add). But the joy of my mid-major making a run in the tournament is a feeling that I will never forget. And every member of the team (except for Brian Edwards and his arsenal of low post moves) will be in Millett Hall tomorrow night.

But that's not all. Miami is inducting two former hoops studs into the athletic hall of fame. Wally already had #32 put up into the rafters (metaphorically) at a football game that I attended a few years ago that I'm sure we lost. And he will reach red and white immortality tomorrow night. Either way, 32 should never ever be worn again. I would even suggest that his number be treated like Jackie Robinson's in which no one should ever be able to wear that number at any level of hoops ever again.

The other man being honored is #42. Now, I guarantee that you all remember the guy, but you haven't thought about him since his days in Oxford were over. Devin Davis, the ORIGINAL dread-locked basketball player, will be on hand to see his jersey raised (I think). It was the 1995 team that made the tournament with Devin as a 12 seed and sent home the Damon Stoudamire-led Arizona Wildcats early in Dayton. A young, future blogger was in attendance for that one. Anyway, Devin has made a nice career for himself playing over in Spain and is apparently still one of the best players over there. Good for him, I look forward to seeing what that hair looks like tomorrow night.

It's going to be awesome. But there is one more thing that I would like to share and it disappoints me very much. So, I only know one guy that is in the sports business world. He used to be an assistant coach at Miami before moving on to working for the Chicago Bulls. I'm talking to him on Facebook last weekend and we agree to meet up and say hello, you know, boring small talk at some point tomorrow. He asked if I was staying down there that night. Since I'm forcing She$ to go to a basketball game on Valentine's Day, I advised him that I was heading back when the game was over. His reply was something along the lines of, "that's too bad, I'm staying with (one of the coaches), you would have been more than welcome to come and drink with me and the boys from the '98 team". Sonofabitch. I can't believe that I'm not going to take up that offer. That's a nerdy sports fan's dream come true. Why am I getting married again???

Although to be honest, it would probably get really awkward when I went up and hugged Wally every five minutes. I even had a perfect ice breaker that would have gotten a laugh out of the Cavalier (which I will not share because it is supposed to be for Wally's ears only)! Damn. I have never regretted being engaged until this moment. She$ is stripping me of my destiny! It's still going to be a great time though and I can't wait. Have a good weekend and if you even think that I won't be talking about the Daytona 500 on Monday, you've got another thing coming. GO REDHAWKS!!!

14 comments:

Grumpy said...

You're letting a woman stand between you and hangin' with the '98 team? Time to grow a pair. You will regret missing out on this opportunity for the rest of your life.

GMoney said...

Grump, if it makes you feel better, she's getting a cookbook for V-Day. Yeah, I'm pretty special.

Mr. Ace said...

Grow some fucking stones. You give me shit for letting Mrs. Ace watch the Eagles game with me and then you pull this shit. You are a fraud, a phony!!!

Dustin said...

I finally agree with you on something, g$. Mike and mike in the morning is fucking terrible. I don't know if its because this is the worst time of the year for sports (until the daytona 500!!) and they got lamer than ever or if they've always been this bad and I just didn't realize it. They make me pissed off every morning and I can't take it anymore!

Jeff said...

Make a sign with your sweet nothings for Wally written on it. The game is on ESPN U. You never know, you could make sportscenter. You could throw a nice little plug for your blog on it too.

Anonymous said...

You are a fucking bitch.

If I was ever given the opportunity to smoke some weed with Brent Darby, you bet your fucking ass no bitch is getting in the way of that opporunity.

--Drew

GMoney said...

I know, you guys don't have to tell me how pathetic I am. But I know that you will.

And Jeff, you're right, I forgot to mention that the game is on ESPNU Saturday night. Look for the streaker that's dry-humping Wally.

Allan Stokke said...

I think it might be time to introduce She$ to your friend "Chris" and your other friend "Brown" *kisses fists*

Just saying....

GMoney said...

Doesn't "buying her a cookbook" kind of give me the upper hand? She did ask for it though (the book, not the fist in the jaw).

Anonymous said...

Would you let Wally bang her if he asked?

Anonymous said...

Its not like you never left her on V-DAY before.

Irishman said...

Should be a good time tomorrow G$, I was hoping to get hooked up with some tix from my pal, but i havent heard back, nor have i tried anymore. I got stuff to do tommorrow now anyways. Go Red Hawks.

GMoney said...

3:10, what does that mean?

12:55, Wally has too much respect for me.

Anonymous said...

I love Wally!!!! Wish he wasnt married!!! darn it anyway :(