Tuesday, November 25, 2008

There Is Still Hope


You better fucking believe that this is a picture of Charlie Coles from his playing days on Oxford. Your welcome.

Tonight, I attended my first college basketball game of the season as I made the hour-long drive to Dayton to watch my RedHawks battle the Raiders of Wright State. It was a fairly dull game (Miami won 55-37) that was highlighted by Wright State selling beer (why doesn't every arena do this!!!). But I got to enjoy something tonight that I haven't felt in a long time. That feeling was my alma mater winning a game in any sport in which I was in attendance. It felt good. It felt really good.

Considering that our football team is 2-9 and 4 days away from cutting ties with our horrible head coach, I needed this. In fact, I'll even go out on a limb and say that our basketball team will win 20 games this year (we're pretty good). And that is something that me and all of the Miami alums that actually care about our athletic department needed right now. A distraction from the gridiron abortion and a shift in focus to a team/coaching staff that appear to actually care.

Now let's move up North. Michigan fans, it's been a rough Fall. RichRod's first year has been nothing short of a Miller High Life-fueled hangover dump. But forget about that. Change your thought process. Look at what Jon Beilien is doing. For God's sake, the Wolverines just beat UCLA! Sure, you hang your hat on your football program, but don't forget about Manny Harris and the rest of the boys that are playing hard right now. They are trying to give you fans something to be, you know, PROUD about.

The point of this post is that just because the football season didn't work out the way you had hoped, don't let that sabotage your view of your hoops team. After all, with every winter win, the hurt of every fall loss will lessen. Now on Thursday when you are giving thanks, remember to thank college basketball for allowing you to forget about how much you hate football.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel...you give your all and just can't get a Win. Wait til next year.
----Jonny K----

Anonymous said...

Agreed, I have been watching Michigan basketball all year. Watching them play good brings a little smile to my face. Hopefully they can take out Duke on Dec 6th.

Glick

Anonymous said...

HAHA....Michigan fans taking solace in the fact that maybe their basketball team could finish in 6th place or so in the big ten. The Michigan football free fall is a beautiful thing to watch.

--Drew