Friday, August 08, 2008

Guys That I Like...



How about that for a homoerotic teaser? Sorry, biters of the pillow, we aren't talking about dongs today. Instead we are continuing our discussion of fantasy football (as we discussed we would be doing each and every Friday in August). Today, I hammer out a list of guys that I like this year. Not love, because those secrets are locked away deep down in Fort Dix (right next to Fort Nuts). Guys that could potentially have breakout seasons or forgotten stars that I feel will return to their past glory. So without further ado, 5 decent value picks that could help your team that will likely fall farther than they should.

QB - Jason Campbell
I know what you're saying, G$, quit being a homer. I totally understand that argument. But let me explain. I have a tendency to be one of those fantasy GM's that, if I can't get Brady or Peyton, I'm not going to take a QB for awhile. I will fill out the rest of my lineup before I take someone like Donovan McNabb two rounds too high and hope that he has figured out how to stop sucking. As far as Campbell goes, Peter King is already saying that he looks fantastic and that he appears to be ready to make the leap this season. In the Jim Zorn offense, he's going to throw a lot. Now, I don't think that J-Camp is a top ten QB, but when you stack him next to Marmalard Rivers or Jay Cutler or Eli Manning, I think that the ceiling is higher for Campbell than the others. And the best part is, if you take Campbell, you can always handcuff him with The Golden Arm Of Todd Collins! It's a win-fucking win situation.



RB - Larry Johnson
I don't know why, but I'm selling myself more and more on a return to prominence this season for Larry Johnson. If you remember, two years ago, HERM! made him carry the ball about 800 times. Then he held out and got hurt last year. This year, everything looks good for Larry. Hell, I just watched him score against the Bears. The drafting of Branden Albert only helps, too. You aren't seeing many mocks that have Johnson drafted in the top ten. I'll tell you what though, if I'm picking 8th, I am jumping all over him. He'll never be a top 5 pick again with his moron coach and Brodie Croyle's arm full of rat feces, but for some strange reason, I like him this season.

WR - Santonio Holmes
Every year, some WR makes the leap to superstardom in the fantasy world. Last season, Braylon Edwards was that guy. I think Santonio is primed to be this year's big-time, breakout WR. As far as the Steelers go, Hines Ward is getting old and I could probably cover him now. Pittsburgh is going to throw the ball a lot, too, since their schedule isn't really conducive to blowing teams out and just grinding way the clock. This ain't Cowher-ball anymore. They might get blown out more than they crush teams this season. Anyway, Big Ben is a top 5-6 QB as far as fantasy goes (a definite top 5er in reality) and as long as Holmes can stay healthy (like Braylon finally did last year), expect big numbers.



TE - Alge Crumpler
Crumpler is finally back in a comfort zone for him. Clearly, and history proves this, Alge is better when he has run-first, incompletion-second black QB's throwing to him. He just hates the way that the ball comes out of the white man's hand! Now that he is in Tennessee, he should be good for 8-10 td's. Look at the Titans roster...who is getting passes in the red zone other than Crumpler? He's the only proven option that VY has. And if you can't get a top 5 tight end, you may as well wait a few more rounds and take Crumpler as opposed to reaching for a stiff like Vernon Davis.

DEF - Raid-uhhhs
I'm one of those guys that likes to draft bizarre defenses that no one would ever want on their squads (especially during auction drafts, I've been known to bid on Arizona D). Seemingly, I've owned the Raiders defense for the past 3 seasons in multiple leagues. In every league, there is some dumbass that always takes the Bears defense in like the 4th round or something. Yeah, great, thanks for playing this year and finishing last, buddy. My philosophy on defenses is that it doesn't matter if they can stop the run or get sacks. It's meaningless. I want a D that has a good secondary and can get me a handful of pick-six's each season. Now that the Raiders have DeAngelo Hall to go with Nnamdi Asomugha(sp?) the Raiders WILL get you a few touchdowns this year. Don't forget that Oakland plays the third easiest schedule this year either.

Well, there you have it, some more top-notch and FREE fantasy football advice. I should have just called this "The Leap" since I used that term about 40 times. What do you think? Am I wrong? Retarded? Just plain sexy? I'm out, back on Monday...I might due a final round live journal for the PGA, not sure though. Actually, do you guys want a live journal like the one I did for The Masters? Let me know in the comments.

9 comments:

Upstate Underdog said...

I'm blaming you G$ if I take any of these guys and they end up sucking.

rstiles said...

My draft is this Sunday...I will give out my fantasty football draft thoughts next week....

Matt said...

You should have called it the leap, but your subconscious is trying to tell us about these guys you really do like.

saul hudson said...

You couldn't cover Hines Ward if he were drunk and in a wheel chair. But keep your head up.

GMoney said...

Hudson, I'll do you one better...I'll keep my head on a swivel.

Anonymous said...

No need for a final round journal. No Tiger=Nobdoy gives a shit. That is of course unless Padraig "Don't call Dan" Harrington is in contention.

-Damman

Anonymous said...

"Don't call me Dan," that is. My excitment for Padraig causes typos.

-Damman

Anonymous said...

Damman - That's Padraig "Call Me Any Name But Joey" Harrington.

THN said...

I love Jason Campbell, too. He is going to be really good this year. I'm not taking a QB until the 10th round when I will land Campbell. I'll be laughing all the way to a championship.