Thursday, May 01, 2008

Easing Into The Weekend



We've been spewing out way too many hate posts recently. I admit it. My vitriol has been epic over the past few weeks. So today, we're staying away from sports. In fact, my goal today is to get everyone laughing.

So to make up for all the serious shit going on here, today I'm giving you some of my favorite Saturday Night Live sketches of all time. No, you won't be seeing any Celebrity Jeopardy's or Matt Foley's or anything like that. You have all seen those. Instead, I'm giving you some of my (and Damman, we collaborated on this) favorites that aren't necessarily well known but have always stood out to me. Let's get started, and in no particular order:

1. Rory Templeton Goes On A Japanese Game Show - Farley is great in this but what makes the sketch is Mike Myers laughter...just priceless.


2. The Whipmaster - Bill Murray is priceless in this one. Farley is fantastic as the bartender. Lookie here at the big 'ol dandelion I found!!!
Dammit, I can't embed this for some reason. Shit. Click here to check it out, it's worth the extra mouse click.

3. Who's More Grizzled - I'm pretty sure that this was just a filler sketch during the colossal failure of Garth Brooks hosting, but it is a classic. No one beats Tate Mitchum, and if you think otherwise, he'll put the strap to ya.


Damn, I was going to put up 5 of them but it's damn near impossible to find a lot of these online. Anyway, some of my favorites that did not make the video cut but are still great:
***Chet Harper on Sportscenter (Ray Romano) - He's celebrating like a slave that reached the North!
***The Middle-Aged Man (Mike Myers) - Stop looking at my gut!
***Stop That (John Turturro) - One of the dumbest sketches ever but funny somehow
***20,000 Leagues Under The Sea (Kelsey Grammar) - This is, without a doubt, my favorite sketch of all time. It has everything: a submarine, a fake squid, idiots...it is priceless. If ANYONE knows where I can see this again, I would owe you forever.
***I also like Debbie Downer, I don't care what other people say.

Did I forget one of your favorites that isn't already wildly popular??? Let me know and we can discuss in the comments. Have a good weekend and if you feel like it, go ahead and take that team of horses up Bear Mountain.

11 comments:

Tony B. said...

I was unable to find the 20,000 leagues sketch, but this link will be really really helpful for you:

http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/

Anonymous said...

Yeah...you know you need to keep laughing when you just watched the Yankees get swept by Kenny Rogers, Jeremy Bonderman and Nate Robertson.

Here come the Tigers!

--Drew

Anonymous said...

The best of all time is when Farley is in a coffee shop and they tell him it's not really Columbia (I think) coffee. I couldn't find it but if you could please post it!

Also G$ I have to apologize for the ass pounding from the Tigers these last few days. First sweep by the Tigers in Yankee Stadium since 1966!!!!

-Dut

GMoney said...

To be honest, I am completely disgusted with my team right now (see Wednesday's blog). I didn't see one highlight from that series other than Abreu's home run that meant shit from last night. But looking at the box scores, your starting pitching was pretty terrible and a decent offense would have punished them. Kenny Rogers fucks goats.

Good for you, you swept an International League team.

Dut, I'm not sure what you mean about the Farley/coffee sketch. But another one that I love features Farley as Newt Gingrich and Connie Chung keeps tricking his mom into saying all this crazy shit about Newt. Classic!

Anonymous said...

G$- I found it...thanks to Tony b.

http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/play.shtml?mea=2656


-Dut

J Beanie said...

Fantastic stuff. I loved watching this as much as I love the Yankees losing (although I do wish they'd be the Tigers and lose to everyone else).

stonybrown said...

The Phil Hartman as Frank Sinatra stuff will always be at the top of my list. The one with Billy Idol and Sinead O'Connor stands out.

Roll on Tigers!!

Tony B. said...

Man, youtube is on it... they already took down your second video.

Anonymous said...

I am also a fan of Debbie Downer.

The Whipmaster is not even the funniest Bill Murray sketch. That would be Frequent Flyer.

-Damman

Mark said...

Don't forget Wedgie Fever! Excellent John Lovitz skit.

Julio Faulkner said...

I am also a fan of Debbie Downer. The Whipmaster is not even the funniest Bill Murray sketch. That would be Frequent Flyer. -Damman