Wednesday, September 27, 2006

T.O. has left me speechless...



Let me preface this post by saying that when T.O. was in San Fran, I really liked him. I found his antics hilarious and he was a lot less of a sideshow then. He even called Jeff Garcia a fag which everyone knows but is too chicken shit to say. But I hate every player in NFC East that isn't a Redskin and T.O. has played for two teams in the division. Thus, making him my NFL public enemy #1. I have found over the last three seasons that his "coverage" has been unnecessary and a ton of overkill. But that ended today. The news about his possible suicide attempt is absolutely sad, fascinating, puzzling, etc. Finding out what ESPN Tom Friend wrote about T.O's childhood and stuff is surreal. The guy has had a shit life outside of the NFL. I am absolutely glued to this story, much like Mo Clarett's, and I agree with my boy, Bill Simmons, who summed it up as perfectly as I could imagine.

"I was a little skeptical about his motives when I first read the story, I have to admit... he had turned into such a divisive character, and so many people were against him, and so many people doubted him, that if you're thinking from his perspective, this would have been the easiest way to change everyone's opinion of him - now we'll feel bad for him, and we'll say, "Maybe he needed help all along," and some of his less defensible actions from the last few years will be excused to a certain degree. But there's also a chance that he's just a profoundly depressed guy and just wanted a way out. That's why I don't want to comment either way until we know more of the facts.

But I will say this: Unless info comes out that he rigged this whole thing, or it was some sort of nefarious plan, I do think this will change the way people treat him and talk about him. For the better. He HAS become more sympathetic obviously. It's going to be fascinating to see how this plays out. "--Bill Simmons

I would like to end this by saying that T.O.'s performance in Super Bowl 39 was perhaps the most amazing, gutty show I have EVER seen.

No comments: